Surfasting near Christchurch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Howdy.

Me and my mates are a bunch of students who decided to take up a bit of fishing recently, but without a lot of luck. We’ve only been out to black rock and the little possie around a bit where there are rod holders. In 3 outings we’ve only caught one little red cod that would have only been good for about one fish-finger. (although last weekend we got desperate and decided to head over to Lyttleton to boost morale and caught some little sharks). I’ve got a 12″ kilwell magnum, and we usually run some squid as bait (with some burley).

Now my question for all you Chch anglers is do you have any good spots you can recommend where we can have some fun (morale is low at the moment!) that are relatively close to Chch (ie within 30-40 mins from city centre).

Also, any advice for fishing black rock (relation to tide, bait etc).

And lastly is there any other kind of fishing I can do with my rod (12″ kilwell magnum) (legally). We just wanna catch something to have some fun (those lyttleton sharks dont exactly put up much fight when you need to land them!), if we can get a feed out of it it would be even better!

cheers

G

yellowfin
    Participant

hey man ahhh birdlings flat is rather close to chch or the pier even can be fairly productive at times. lyttelton during winter at night maybe better thanat night. amberley is alright for surfcasting although is quite shallow the beaches south of birdlings are much better. leithfeild beach is alosrather close to chch but again is very shallow although have had sme great red cod catches from here. the mouthof the waimak is definatly still worth a look for bait fishing all year round with winter you being able to catch some skate red cod and not too bad doggies inthe actualy river itself ip to about 700m aboue the mouth i have found also able to catch flounder as well im planning on thatthis weekend sometime. during summer at the mouth you can catch loads of mullet eg like 100+ in a day some are big enough to eat the others just throw back or use as bait. also can catch kaiwhai. personally kaiwhai id throw back or use as bait ithink its bloody awful. as for the use of squid cant say i like that to be honest id say squid is crap. the only positive is its tough so stays on the hook you would have better luck with mullet bonito trevelly mackeral or pilchards. or various shellfish. hope this kinda helps a bit also hooks sizes at times need to be chosen wisesly

yellowfin
    Participant

Is birdlings flat good at this time of year?

Also, you need a license to fish anywhere on/near the waimak I take it?

might give blackrock a try with some mullet cheers.

yellowfin
    Participant

ahhhh birdlings is alwasy worth a try in my opinion. unless theres southerley swell then i wouldnt bother. as for the waimak no you dont need a licence, unless you are intending on catching salmon or trout but as for other species you dont need one. a great place to catch mullet is the kaiapoi river at times its absolutly loaded with the little buggers

yellowfin
    Participant

How does one go about [i:2a819d3o]not[/i:2a819d3o] catching salmon or trout? and how often do the rangers stop by? What sort of bait should I use for the mullet?

cheers for your help, all I need now is for this shithouse weather to go

yellowfin
    Participant

well usually in the waimak salmon and trout are caught on lures so just dont use a lure i guess bait really is anything like pillie or bonito or mackeral and ull catch mullet also sea worms are really good.

yellowfin
    Participant

If you do get adventurous and can handle going a little further. Kaikoura off the wharf at night is worth a try.
    A group of us went there a couple of months ago for an all night mission. Caught heaps of Moki, a red cod, seen heaps of barracouta, a reasonable sized shark and heaps of baitfish.. Piper, herrings, mackeral etc… My flatmate was up there again last weekend. and he said it was much the same.

Another place that is just past birdlings is Te Oka bay and Tumbledown bay. Its a bit of a walk to get to the good spots out the head of the bays… But no worse than black rock.
    Cant say I’ve done really well there in the past but its a nice place to waste the day away. And I’ve seen dolphins everytime we’ve been..
    We’ve caught blue cod, red cod, mullet, wrasse, dogfish etc etc etc there… and tried a drag net once and caught a little sole. Just lookout for the Seals :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

oh shit yea kaikoura deffinatly!!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

If your not fussed about eating anything, doggies, skate and carpet sharks from cape three points on the Akaroa harbour.
    What year uni you in?
    I came down in 2003 and haven’t managed to leave yet (chch that is, been out of uni for a couple of years)
    Grimace

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m a med student, done 3 years in Dunedin got another 3 in chch.

Hopefully the weather wont sh*t itself so I can get out tonight!

yellowfin
    Participant

lol now it has shit itself

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.