Otago Habour Trolling

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi folks,

I have recently moved to Dunners and have spent the last three weekends trolling for salmon without success. Spent most of my time at the enterence of the habour using a yellow paravane and a heavy silver spinner. I have nailed around 50 baracuda, but had no sign of salmon. Anyone prepared to offer a few hints? Is it more effective closer to Dunedin CBD, port chalmers or anywhere else??

Many thanks for any advice :lol:

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I know a guy who does quite a bit of trolling [I haven’t done it myself] and he thought the salmon might be spooked by the bright yellow paravane, he uses a downrigger to get his down[or a darker couloured paravame?], he also uses jelly lures, they are pretty realistic

Because the salmon have yet to enter fresh water they will still be feeding, so a lure that represents what its feeding on would be the go, e.g. the common sprat is most likely atm, I have seen tonnes of them down at the wharf so somthing that imitates one of them would be the go I reckon :)

And go down to elios gun shop in south Dunedin, its left along King Edward street from National bank, it is open from 9am-till 5:30pm weekdays, and 10am-1pm on saturday, closed on Sunday.
    The guys down there will be sure to help you out.

Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members