Otago Fishing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Do any of you know of places in the Shag Point/Moeraki area that are suitable for surfcasting, especially for someone that hasn’t a clue about where to go or how to fish this way (think dummy) :) any advice would be great.

I have read through all the excelent articles on this site and have also hit the library and begun reading books but I find there is not much information regarding my local area.

Maybe I just live in a bad area for surfcasting:?

Thanks

Terry

yellowfin
    Participant

Theres lots of places to fish off the rocks in moaraki. I heard that it is good fishing round by the lighthouse. I dont know about surfcasting as ive only been

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Terry, I fished off the Hampden beach on monday night, I caught 4 grey boy’s & an excellent elephant fish, this was right where the kids swings are using squid bait, little bit of red weed there but still quite fishable, be prepared to get your feet wet when casting and I find the incoming tide the best, good luck might see you there, cheers Mel

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Mel :)

Thanks for the reply, It’s great to find out that surfcasting is possible and from your repot rewarding.

As yet I haven’t purchased any gear as I was still in the finding out stage, but thanks to your reply I am encouraged to begin the process of buying gear.

I have a couple more questions if thats Ok.

Do you regularly fish this way around Hampden?

Do you always or mostly manage to catch fish?

Are there other areas that you have tried?

And finally ([i:3o2110de]a big couple of questions huh[/i:3o2110de]) I am also thinking of setting up to do some fishing off the rocks at Moeraki Lighthouse, I understand that something like a salmon rod would be good for there, would a reel suitable for surfcasting (eggbeater style) also be suitable for fishing off the rocks?

Thanks

Terry

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Terry, the surfcasting around nth otago is only much good around xmas time, about a month and a half either side, we target elephant fish but have caught grey boy’s, rig, kahwai, seven gillers & skate along the way. This year has been ordinary although we had a good night at waianakarua last evening.I use my surfcaster for all my saltwater landbased fishing including the moeraki lighthouse.I use a 13.5 ft rod with a large eggbeater which i have spooled with 50lb braid, i normally use about 60lb trace and size 6/0 hooks with a breakaway sinker.

yellowfin
    Participant

A good setup for rock and surfcasting is at least a 12ft rod

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey :)

Thanks for the replies guys, you’ve been very helpful and I’m very encouraged by your advice.

Cheers

Terry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.