Fly casting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jackfish
    Participant

Have any of you flyfisher people out there ever laid out a measuring tape and see how far you can cast? Or ever been focused on practicing your distance casting(70 feet plus)?

Quite a few people I have talked to say they aren’t interested in distance casting because they don’t need to cast far too catch fish but I have a feeling its just because they either just can’t do it or they are really bad at it.

So when you get the time lay out the tape and measure your cast or just an estimate if you can’t measure it give an estimate and post and tell us your results, along with what rod and line you were using. It would be interesting to see what comes up.

I’ll start:

115 feet

6 weight sage TCR

6 weight scientific angler XXD line

yellowfin
    Participant

Never tried fly fishing myself, but with stats like those posted above, Im not sure you’ll get many takers Jack, impressive though all the same.

dave
    Participant

i just had a go 115feet and 3cm…..depends on whether
    you measure from my front toe.
    cool me the winner so far.
    fly rod was an old bamboo job..
    not sure of line weight

Jackfish
    Participant

Whats the brand of the rod

dave
    Participant

im only joking just having a laugh……just think it would be funny
    to beat him by 30mm .. ha ha
    i do have a sage fli so will have to go out and have a cast with a good tale wind.. and see how i get on.
    Dave……

yellowfin
    Participant

distance isnt a big thing with fly fishn az its about stalkn a fish ive fly fished for a few years an thats the way i got shown its about the hunt not distance how muc line do you wana have out if it hits az lil az pos

Jackfish
    Participant

I get what you are saying but you haven’t been taught properly if you think distance isn’t important. Being able to cast a long way will help your accuracy and presentation. If you are casting to a fish that is 40 (can be any distance) feet away but the furtherest distance you can cast is 40-42 feet you aren’t going to make such a nice presentation to the fish. But if you can cast 60, 70, 80+ feet you are going to make such a nicer presentation to the fish as you are making a cast which is well inside your limit.

Have a think about it :smile:

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Well I don’t know I’ll be able to cast more than 70 feet… but do you know where can you get a cheap measuring tape from that will do the job?
    Be nice to know how far I [i:3vgcnoph]can[/i:3vgcnoph] cast

Tailsnz
    Participant

i dont know what distance it was but one particularly large section (blue pool) of the tongariro you need to cast out onto your backing line to get over the river to drop your fly nicely for a long meander down the bank with the occassional mend to be on a very good lie.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.