Fishing in Akaroa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Thinking about going there and I was wondering if anyone knows if there’s any land-based spot worth checking. Heard the wharf might be interesting and Akaroa also seems to be good for rock fishing…

Has anyone been there lately?

Thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey, dont know about the Akaroa side but a few weeks ago a mate & I fished a rocky outcrop on the Wainui side of the harbour, unsure of its name sorry. Follow the road the main rd through Wainui, past the wharf until you start to head up again on Bossu Rd, right on a corner you will see it. If you check out Google Earth its about 850m past the Jubilee rd turnoff.
    Parking at the top & a well worn track down to the beaches/rocks. We got plagued by Banded Wrasse, & mate lost 2 bloody good Moki right on the waters edge. Another few takes that were distinctly Moki like as well, good takes & straight into the kelp! the 14lb I was spooled with was havin a hard time coping with that. Nice spot though all the same, will head back again for sure, btw this was in the middle of the day! Butterfish & the odd paua if youre that way inclined too. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

I used to do alot of fishing off the wharf in akaroa. We only really ever caught red cod, rays, skate, mullet, dogfish etc Night was always better and you’d get occasional baracouta under the lights. we got a few salmon as well on lures. But last time I went there we didnt even get a bite.

I think I know that Wainui Spot. Me and some mates went there once. We walked across to an island at low tide and fished the incoming. Were plagued by wrasse, mate got a nice blue cod. There was a nice deep drop off right where we were. Would try there again sometime.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.