Dumb beginner

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi all

Thought I might try my luck at catching a salmon on the Waimak, near Kaiapoi. Havent done so before so need a bit of advice. Can you use hooks, lure or must you fly fish?.

What else may I catch there?

Does tide have anything to do with ones luck?

Thanks in advance.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

You can fish in the Kaiapoi River for salmon using natural bait. That means shrimps or whole bait fish. The bait fish most anglers use are whole pilchards usually purchased from fishing tackle stores. These natural baits are generally fished under a bobby float. If you go down to the Kaiapoi River near the Rugby Club you will be able to see anglers fishing by this method.

However, by far the

yellowfin
    Participant

Thank you so much for your reply. My intention would be to anchor up in my little boat somewhere. I assume somewhere opposite

yellowfin
    Participant

You can catch yellow-eyed mullet at Macintoshes all year around. Sometimes schools of young kahawai about 200mm long are also caught. When anchoring be sure to stay in line with the other boats as far away from those fishing on the rocks as possible to avoid arguments. While salmon fishing you are better off casting and winding your zed spinner back up the current rather than aiming at the anglers on the rocks. This will produce more

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members