Boat Fishing in Lyttelton

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could name some good spots to fish in Lyttelton and what sort of fish I can expect to catch there, appropriate baits and lines etc?

Have just started up fishing after a long break and would be grateful for any info. This is fishing from a boat.

Cheers

Torque :)

rdeejay
    Participant

Only place you can fish now is off the rocks by the boat ramp, everywhere else is blocked off, you can expect to catch dogfish, dogfish and more dogfish oh and rubbish red cod and rays. Not exactly a prime fishing spot for decent species to take home to eat.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi
    Sorry forgot to mention that I will be fishing from a boat. Went out yesterday with my big brother and caught a dogfish and another unknown larger fish that broke the reel and got away. Yeah dogfish and mangy red cod do seem to be in full supply over there.

yellowfin
    Participant

If your boat is worthy enough try around the headlands particularly at the harbour entrance & beyond, been Kingfish hanging around there up to 20kg if your gears up to it. I always found launching at Scarborugh easier & quicker than the trek up the harbour though.

rdeejay
    Participant

Aha you changed it since i posted. Can’t really help you there as i’ve had no success out on the boat around the harbour, and the only time i did i lost it but damn it wanted have a good fight with me, drifting around the kelp areas near any rocky area up the right hand side of the harbour heading upwards might hold some fish, otherwise get out of the harbour and head around closer to black rock and beyond.

yellowfin
    Participant

thanks yeah we got as far as godley head side of the heads but just decided to stay within lyttelton and try our luck hooked a doggy and some unknown fish that managed to break the reel and escaped before we could get it in.

yellowfin
    Participant

hi just wondering if any one wants to come out with their own boat to to some fishing and snorkling around boulder bay an pigeon bay on Saturday the25th at about 6am you must have your own boat I launch at sumner lifeboat club im going out Saturday to put craypot out an going out sunday to pick it up more boats the merrier

yellowfin
    Participant

hi I take my boat to motunau a lot if someone wants to follow me up I will help them put boat out an bring it in an show them the good fishing spots :razz:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am very keen wannabe!! whens ya next trip??? maybe looking at going for a cruise out lyttleton tomorrow, just to give the boat a run but never eally had much luck apart from the doggies.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.