Re: Latest Catches

Anonymous
Inactive

I drove out to the west coast to show my parents Haast Pass and Jackson Bay, and stopped for a fish in the river. The main channel was up and coloured, but I gave it a lash anyway with no result. Stalking back fuming about the river condition, I stopped at a clear side channel that wasn’t flowing. I was desperate to get some action so just followed the side channel towards the mouth for about 2k till it started flowing. Right on the little riffles between these great big pools, I started flicking out first a rapala then some softies. Anyway, had the time of my life, caught my bag limit of 4 fish, all good fish, with the best close to 4lb. Finally got stuck into those sea runners like I’ve been trying to do for a while now.

The word at the Haast Heritage Hotel restaurant was that the whitebaiters hadn’t been getting anything, and that the whitebait season on Haast had been pretty dismal so far. I recon it was the sea runners fault, as all of them were stuffed to the gills with whitebait.