Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 589 total)
  • Author
    gunnercoops
    Participant

had an amble down the South Branch this morning, forgot my polaroids which made spotting difficult, caught nothing but spooked one half decent fish, a number of small fish around further upstream.

yellowfin
    Participant

was around the groynes today feeding some ducks, which after about 20 min turned into feeding about 7 brownies, all very small though maybe 2lb at the most, was quite fun seeing them swoop in too grab some bread balls, id say those small fish wont be hungry for a bit as they ate about half a loaf between them

Miliwolf
    Participant

Is that the stocked kids fishing area?

yellowfin
    Participant

no it wasnt, the take a kid fishing was today this was in another section of the groynes

yellowfin
    Participant

Tried the L2 for the first time yesterday. Caught this nice 4.4lb trout on a gifted Rapala – it had been in 3 trees and I still hadn’t lost it! Session abandoned later due to rain and Gunnercoops being ‘slimed’ by a foul-hooked eel at the Selwyn.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went up to Lake Opuha this morning to try my new Ultra light rod, Hooked 5 fish and lost them all :oops:
    Might be time to change the treble hooks on my spinners

Anonymous
    Inactive

I drove out to the west coast to show my parents Haast Pass and Jackson Bay, and stopped for a fish in the river. The main channel was up and coloured, but I gave it a lash anyway with no result. Stalking back fuming about the river condition, I stopped at a clear side channel that wasn’t flowing. I was desperate to get some action so just followed the side channel towards the mouth for about 2k till it started flowing. Right on the little riffles between these great big pools, I started flicking out first a rapala then some softies. Anyway, had the time of my life, caught my bag limit of 4 fish, all good fish, with the best close to 4lb. Finally got stuck into those sea runners like I’ve been trying to do for a while now.

The word at the Haast Heritage Hotel restaurant was that the whitebaiters hadn’t been getting anything, and that the whitebait season on Haast had been pretty dismal so far. I recon it was the sea runners fault, as all of them were stuffed to the gills with whitebait.

baitman
    Participant

Found this big fella knocking off cripples and Duns.
    Fishing in the rain had been snowing Brrrr

7.5lb took my CDC emerger that was fresh from the vise and totally wrecked it can’t complain though :)

yellowfin
    Participant

got 2 brownies out of the canal on monday, both 4 lb

smokin’ joe
    Participant

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/ne … in-at-18kg

not mine, but it proves they are still there

yellowfin
    Participant

I witness that fish being caught on monday from accross the canal. what a beast!

yellowfin
    Participant

Did anyone see that bloke down at the Selwyn on Tuesday evening wandering around asking other fishermen to pull an embedded Rapala out of the back of his head?

yellowfin
    Participant

caught and released 9 in the Clutha yesterday, despite the dams spilling and the river being high, the fishing was still great. good mixture of browns and rainbows averaging 2lb.

baitman
    Participant

GrumpyGel

yellowfin
    Participant

Oh he was on his own and he managed to get the treble on his rapala stuck so far into the back of his head that he and 2 other fishermen couldn’t get it out. Took A&E to sort it out. Shalln’t say who it was or how it got there – shall leave that to your imagination! Or maybe we’ll get an ‘owning up to it’ post at some time!

’tis a funny time for the Selwyn all round. I took a jaunt down there this evening. I was blown out by my regular fishing buddies, 1 at work, the other licking wounds (possibly a very sore head!), so my wife said she’d come along. I was rather suprised as she only fishes a couple of time a year – but happy for the company. I have fished the Selwyn many times and caught zilch – so it was obvious what was going to happen – and it did. She caught this lovely 11lb jack.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 589 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.