Re: Latest Catches 3

Carl
Participant

Great catches Zac, you’re on a roll :grin:

I no longer wash my fish in fresh water either, I learn’t my lesson after filleting some Kahawai/Gurnard and washing the fillets under the tap before putting them in the fridge. The next day they looked aweful, like a slime coating?? I didn’t bother cooking them after that. I have tank water so it can’t be chemicals that break down the flesh.

[quote:3q3b5wu8]I decided to try something a little different tonight and fish the first 2hrs after low tide. Got to the beach around 7pm, only to find I have absolutely no bait elastic (or even bait cotton) anywhere in my car or tackle bag. I have not been able to find a way to keep paddle crabs on the hook without the use of bait elastic or super glue. If there is a way please tell me. So I was struggling to keep bait on my hook (my other baits razor clam and prawn also need to be tied on),

Nothing worse than forgetting bait elastic. You cauld try rigging a small crab whole with two hooks. Cut off all the legs and paddles then insert the keeper hook through the sockets on one side. Now insert the main hook the same way on the other side of the crab. The main hook will hold the crab firm and the keeper will hook the fish.
You cauld also try stripping off some mainline and using that as cotton if it’s a thin diameter.