Latest Catches 3

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 849 total)
  • Author
    Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Ha Haaaa! Thats the ticket mate! Catch a bigger one next trip, yeah!
    The old Canterbury attitude to do better than before. Like it!

fishforpot
    Participant

More than once now I have read mention of keeping fresh water away from rig …..I cant find any logic to back that up …..
    Not for a minute saying there isnt any tho ….maybe it does effect the taste ….maybe the texture ??

I always wash mine throughly in fresh water , simply because my biggest hate with fish is biting into sand …………arghhhh hate it …..

Is there some scientific basis ? or do we not pull faces in case the wind changes ….

Anonymous
    Inactive

fair comment, fishforpot…

I think fresh water would mainly effect the texture’

rig you should not need to put them near fresh water if you handle them right

some say with elephant fish to bathe in fresh water to remove any ammonia taste…I freeze mine

have you been out ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have heard with fish in general that washing them in freshwater can speed up the growth of bacteria which causes it to go off. This applies to all fish, not just Rig.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Miliwolf

fishforpot
    Participant

Bateria …….chorinated water vrs sea water …maybe I should wash them down in alcohol lol …..
    I guess its possible tho ….and as for texture , I guess it might effect the rig , which I dont really like the texture of …..but Id be washing the bodied before filleting them , shark skin holds of truckload of the sand I hate so much ….

Nah , aint been out …..got noone to go with who’s keen enough to get up early …..did have 1 guy but his body cant handle it lol ….
    And its “fishforpot” not “fishforfreezer” ….I take what I can eat + 1 for the inlaws …then catch and release , save some for the grand kids …

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Miliwolf

rdeejay
    Participant

Don’t forget though Christchurch City water is different to most, its untreated as it’s pumped from the artesian wells which have already had 100’s of years of natural filtering through the rocks under the Canterbury plains, the only thing fresher is spring water so that could make a difference? Timaru and Ashburton water is disgusting i found that out the hard way when i was seeing someone there a while back.

Miliwolf
    Participant

rdeejay

Anonymous
    Inactive

fishforpot

Miliwolf
    Participant

I decided to try something a little different tonight and fish the first 2hrs after low tide. Got to the beach around 7pm, only to find I have absolutely no bait elastic (or even bait cotton) anywhere in my car or tackle bag. I have not been able to find a way to keep paddle crabs on the hook without the use of bait elastic or super glue. If there is a way please tell me. So I was struggling to keep bait on my hook (my other baits razor clam and prawn also need to be tied on), then the

next problem…. There was green sea weed everything and is quickly pulled my line down and covered it… I was having to retrieve my line every few minutes to clean the weed of it and then re-bait the hook… but then my other rod would need attention. I struggled on for about a hour, managed to keep bait on the hook for a little while… Caught nothing, and eventually gave up after about a hour.

Going to throw 5 or 6 new packages of bait elastic in my car tonight to guarantee I would find same for my next few trips.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out to Wakanui again this afternoon. Sea was a bit calm for rig but ended up getting 3 elephant fish although one was to small to keep so put it back. Thought about staying and fishing after dark but couldn’t be bothered.

fishforpot
    Participant

A 2 foot long trace with keeper hook , hook thru the crab body “using half a crab” then bind the trace around the legs till the trace is normal length ….slip keeper hooker thru legs and loops ……..
    Old school is copper wire instead of cotton …….

rdeejay , I thought our water was lightly chlorinated , as well as floridated ….

I do only trunk the fish , then rinse them off under fresh water , so dont really touch the flesh with it at all …..still prepared to keep an open mind tho …..

As for the treatment on trawlers , Ive eated the fish they bring in and it doesnt compare with what we would catch , but unfair to compare Id imagine ….plus they wouldnt carry fresh water when they can pump the salt water from the sea ….hopefully not from anywhere near where they pump out the loo lol …….

Fish f@#k in salt water lol …….

Carl
    Participant

Great catches Zac, you’re on a roll :grin:

I no longer wash my fish in fresh water either, I learn’t my lesson after filleting some Kahawai/Gurnard and washing the fillets under the tap before putting them in the fridge. The next day they looked aweful, like a slime coating?? I didn’t bother cooking them after that. I have tank water so it can’t be chemicals that break down the flesh.

[quote:3q3b5wu8]I decided to try something a little different tonight and fish the first 2hrs after low tide. Got to the beach around 7pm, only to find I have absolutely no bait elastic (or even bait cotton) anywhere in my car or tackle bag. I have not been able to find a way to keep paddle crabs on the hook without the use of bait elastic or super glue. If there is a way please tell me. So I was struggling to keep bait on my hook (my other baits razor clam and prawn also need to be tied on),

Nothing worse than forgetting bait elastic. You cauld try rigging a small crab whole with two hooks. Cut off all the legs and paddles then insert the keeper hook through the sockets on one side. Now insert the main hook the same way on the other side of the crab. The main hook will hold the crab firm and the keeper will hook the fish.
    You cauld also try stripping off some mainline and using that as cotton if it’s a thin diameter.

rdeejay
    Participant

fishforpot

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 849 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.