Reply To: Salmon fishing upstream

Miliwolf
Participant

To get into the very good fishing, you really need to get further out then Ship Cove. Although, it is still possible to catch a feed of fish in the inner sounds.

I say the Sea run trout should still be around, try the mouths of the Wairau or Pelorus. At dusk with a incoming tide is suppose to be the best fishing. Using a wetfly would be the best method to capture the sea runs.

I have not been able to master ‘blind’ nympth fishing mainly because I have not tried. But it is a very effective method. I prefer to sight fish for trout.

I spot the trout, then using two small nympth flys about a 2 feet apart. I then cast upstream of the feeding trout making sure the flyline proper lands downstream of the fish. Then the nympths should sink down to the level of the trout. If all goes well you should see the trout open its mouth.Around that time you would need to strike.

Here is a short video showing ‘Nympth fishing”.

http://www.fishfever.com/node/157/play

With blind nymph fishing, the technique is similar, but you use a indicator which moves slightly when the fish takes the nymph.

The book has a good briefing for most rivers and lakes in New Zealand. The first chapter has a bit on technique and recommended equipment.

I say the Wakamarina would be worth a look. It does not hold a large number of fish, but normally atleast 1 per pond. It mainly holds resident browns with a few very nice fish. It can be quite hard going in spots, and requires a bit of pushing through bush and climbing around cliffs. In a few spots in the upper reaches (not highly recommended) swimming is required.

A popular place to fish wet flys is where the wakamarina joins the Pelorus. I have heard of large sea run browns being caught there fishing at night.

The wakamarina (and most rivers) have been swollen or in flood all month so I have not been able to fish them this season.