1) Average 6700 snaps for each km of rocky coast – survey in the Leigh area where marine reserve is.
2) West coast snaps are bigger then east coast ones.
3) Snapper grow slowly – 100mm at age 1, 300 mm at 4 years old, on the east coast 270mm at 5 years old.
4) They all start out as females but b4 maturing sexually 50 % change sex.
5) At 6 years old they average 350mm & grow 10mm every year after.
6) A 5kg fish may be between 20 & 50 years old.
7) The oldest recorded was 60 years old, 1.3m long & 20 kg.
marine biologists(leigh marine facility) reckon your average 20lber is around 50 years of age.