WORLD RECORDS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Problem is having to keep the fish and taking it to a authorised weighing station. Also belonging to a IGFA recognize fishing club can be a hassle…. IMO it is not worth the effort to chase records.

mulletman
    Participant

a 15 pound conger is small compared to the 21 pounder in new brighton sports (caught near kaikoura i think :?: )

fishforpot
    Participant

I think you will find the records quoted are for a specific line classes , I gather you need to register and log on to view the details ….

15 lb is nothing , caught bigger at the Kaikoura comp …….caught a 29lber many years ago , and they go a LOT bigger than that

I pondered chasing records on light line a while back , tried using 2lb pretest for kahawai at the waimak mouth ….needed to use KY-jelly to tie the knots …and I found the line was breaking before I even felt a fish on the end ….just the drag thru the surf/river against the fish would break the line …it was impossible

Ive fished on calm days off the southern beaches with 2.3lb trying to break the 10/1 ratio ….Got no idea what the true breaking strain would be tho , so cant claim sfa …..
    Taken many elephants and some nice rig , maybe 6 or 7 /1 …
    Just hanging out for a night when its calm and the big greyboys are in close ….it happened 3 yrs ago at pendarves with the greyboys going ballistic , tailwalking no less …..I had a take on the light , but the damn knot failed when I tried to set the hook ….thats the closest Ive come ….but it will happen

Oh , Ru ……I found that telescopic trout rod I mentioned …it was in my wardrobe …got a damaged guide to fix tho …..look out next season …….

yellowfin
    Participant

Don’t you get to a point that the fish is to heavy to even pull with so light line? It’s like all the times I’ve hooked big fish on sabiki traces with small trout hooks and they just bend out. You can let them run but even if they stop you can’t move them anywhere or the hook bends out, I guess it would be the same with very light line, it just wouldn’t be strong enough to move the fish.

fishforpot
    Participant

If the fish was laying on the beach , yeah it wouldnt move ……but its in the water …and it weighs a lot less in the water

2/0 hooks is all I ever use , unless they were unavailable when I bought them “got some 3/0 somewhere lol”
    Had a huge conger bend one once , but that was on 12lb line from memory ….on the surf rod …

Ive always found that the fish tend to fight harder the more you piss them off ….like you pull 12 lb they pull 15lb back ….
    You pull 1 lb they pull back 2lb …. pick your days , anything around a foot or less and just take ya time , once inside the surfline they aint hard to land

yellowfin
    Participant

im gona join the canterbury sportsfishing club next season and get some 12lb ifga rated line and catch a stingray

yellowfin
    Participant

My hook size for general fishing is 10/0 although I’ll use 5/0 for rig and elephant fish and been using 1/0 circle hooks for kahawai etc Had some cheap 7/0 hooks off trademe that bent really easily and PierMaster had a 5/0 bend out on a big skate at kaikoura. Also had a 10/0 bend at the kaikoura wharf but I’m pretty sure that was from pulling the stingray up the stairs with the gaff. Sabiki hooks and small trout hooks don’t take much to bend I’m still looking for some small size 10 or 12 trout hooks that wont bend so easily. I think I read somewhere about a guy fighting an eagle ray on 6kg for something like 6 hours.

Wilderness
    Participant

I’ve broken all of the above many times. I think the real record is going through the ordeal of gaining the record. Its a hassel. I have around 13-14 odd. And its always drawn out and not really worth the issues so i dont bother anymore. Great for kids though.

This fish was caught in the same area as the current record, it was around 40kg. we caught them to almost 130lbs from that area ( 60kg )

SCHOOL SHARK ( TOPE ) CAUGHT ON 6KG

Many dont bother with tackle records for the less game species like tope- seven gillers ect…. but bronzies- mako’s ect…. there are some pretty special records through there

fishforpot
    Participant

Thats the bitch Ive been wanting on 1Kg ….sooner or later I’ll hook one ……

AWESOME pic …..except when I scroll down a little ……..is that ya pecker hangin out ? or one of the boys ? lmao

Lets hope mulletman doesnt spot it , he might wanna invite ya out bottom bouncing ……

Wilderness
    Participant

Ive got them to 17kg on 2kg line, it becomes a mission to get the bait out. What sort of 1 kilo line are you using? braid or mono

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive used 2 types of mono …probably cheating by using a short 3kg casting leader … still much more fun than simply hauling them from the sea on a surf rod ……..

yellowfin
    Participant

hahahahahah

mulletman
    Participant

ha ha ha a ha ha. ha ur funny so very funny

yellowfin
    Participant

he is actuallty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.