winter mullet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    keenfisherman
    Participant

Hello

I was just wondering if anybody knows if yellow eyed mullet are around canterbury in these winter months. Want to get some from the pier or lyttelton and freez it for next summer.

Any replies would be appriciated.

Thanks

keenfisherman
    Participant

sorry guys accidentaly made 2 of the same post

yellowfin
    Participant

Short answer yes,

Longer answer Yes they are still around over winter, Although not in as big of numbers but they are still there, Places like the waimak mouth, kaiapoi river ( the fiery mullet hole) (shhhh vic dont let it out) will produce mullet all year, im sure they would be some at the pier as well but alot of small doggys is possible also, Lyttleton im not totally sure on but some of the small warves you can get too would have them and spotties, bit of berley would be handy, think i actually have some mullet inmy freezer from a trip a few months back, but they will be gone this weekend, I have found in past years that the mullet around in winter all seem to be bigger, Best of luck anyway, personally i would try the mak mouth or the kaiapoi, not just cause they are closest to me either,

keenfisherman
    Participant

pier is closest to me but the Kaipoi is not that far so there are oppertunites all around.
    thanks for the advice.

yellowfin
    Participant

anytime mate

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Suggest you fillet them and salt them if you wish to store frozen for a prolonged period ie more than a few months. Make sure they are vacuum packed as freezer burn is not that attractive on a hook.

yellowfin
    Participant

Very true, depending on what you are targeting on them, Some fish are pretty much garbage disposals so it wont matter! lol

yellowfin
    Participant

My lips are sealed O fiery one.

yellowfin
    Participant

LOL thats the story vic wish the weekend would hurry up though

kite fisherman
    Participant

What’s the best bait to use for mullet,and what part of the Kaiapoi river is the best to fish?

yellowfin
    Participant

Mullet will eat just about anything, Personally i prefer pillies for them. But any heart (ox , chicken sheep) will do, and nearly anywhere will get them

keenfisherman
    Participant

would macintosh’s rocks be alright for mullet? Like if you used a baited sabiki under under float or on the bottom?
    thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

yes but at times there is quite a current there so baits move along way

keenfisherman
    Participant

I might try the kaipoi or waimak sometime

yellowfin
    Participant

The best bait for yellow-eyed mullet is yabbie. You can catch yabbies at low tide on the beach near the Waimakariri River mouth. You will need a bait pump to suck them out of the sand. You could use a spade I guess but it would be hard work. Look for their blow holes and keep them alive in a bucket about 1/3 full of water. Thread one on a size 6 grubber hook then lower it under the water in the Kaiapoi River, or at MacIntoshes Rocks. The yabbies wriggle on the hook attracting the mullet. If you have never tried this way of catching mullet you are in for a big surprise. It never fails!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.