winter fishing spots

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rayhunter
    Participant

hey anyone got any good spots for winter fishing

Miliwolf
    Participant

Assume around Canty?

Can not give any ummm specefic spots simply because I do not know them, but the secret to winter fishing is to avoid the Dogfish and Red Cod which seem to dominate the days catch. So softbaits and crayfish, crabs are baits which should avoid large numbers of Doggies and limit Cod. In saying that, there is not a lot of fish which would eat either from Surf beaches during the winter months.

So I would advise head to rocky coastline and target reefy rocky areas where reef fish stick around all year and doggies are less common.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m looking for a rock ledge with the deepest water possible around it anywhere from Timaru south. I know there’s good ledges around Chch that you climb down cliffs to get to but I want to try some new ground that hasn’t really been LBG’d before…. so I’d like to look more towards Timaru – Oamaru. My personal number one criteria for a good LBG spot is the deepest water possible not too far way. The actual LBG spot can be shallow as long as deep water is close.

All the very top NZ LBG spots like Lottin Point and Spirits Bay are where the continental shelf drops off almost vertically from shore.

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

Only place I know of where the deep water might get close to land is around the Otago Peninsula and a few spots in the Catlins, and being next to Dunedin it must of seen fishing pressure. Otherwise its a boat trip to explore the coast of Stewart Island. Have not checked the charts around the westcoast for quite a while but it typically fairly shallow.

“>

“>

“>

yellowfin
    Participant

Excellent charts. Exactly what I was looking for and I see what you mean. Thankyou.

Miliwolf
    Participant

All the marine charts can be downloaded for free from

http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/digital-charts/chart-images

Download as a .tiff file for the best quality image, then you need software to read .tiff , I use a free program called FastStone Image Viewer. .tiff files are quite large and can be temperamental to load at times.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanx Miliwolf.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.