Winter fishing

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Just a quick question now winter is fast arriving.

Is it still worth getting out for a fish now the temps are dropping? or is a matter of hanging up the rods untill the water starts to warm up again.

Thanks

shark slayer
    Participant

Depends what you like to fish for..there is red cod,skates ,congers,the odd kahawai to be caught over winter..if you spin and fly fish youve got searun trout,browns and bows..

yellowfin
    Participant

I used to catch a lot of red cod at Birdlings Flat over winter.

shark slayer
    Participant

Those days are well and truly over yellowfin..inshore trawling and rec fishers thrashing akaroa and lyttleton harbour destroyed the cod population

yellowfin
    Participant

I fished birdlings over winter about 2-3 years back and caught a few red cod still.

shark slayer
    Participant

the cod population in canterbury is fucked mate..you still get the odd fish at birdlings and the rest of the surf beaches but fuck all and they generaly aint that big..its not worthwhile targeting them specificaly and the few that are around should be left alone so the population has a chance of rebuilding.

yellowfin
    Participant

Agree shark slayer, even 2-3 years ago kaikoura you used to go there over winter and be quite confident of catching a feed of cod, now not so certian, think the trawler there also is playing a part

shark slayer
    Participant

yea that wanker is trawling conway area aswel..give it a season or two and the fishing there will become hard aswel.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yup Conway kekerengu. Everywhere and saw him come in recently with gurnard tht would be Lucky to make 10cm in length , kaikoura last summer I found had more cod than winter, though in awful condition, the few we got last weekend were in nice condition clean and fat,

yellowfin
    Participant

Not to mention the nice 4-5kg moki he had a few weeks ago that had obviously just been caught must have been in close on way home as they were still kicking around in the bins, wish that guy or his boat sinks possibly
    Together , the locals I’ve spoken to think he’s a fucktard. They always have even when he worked at cods n crayfish and want him run outta town

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members