Winter Fishing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Rods are packed up catching dust and reels been oiled and waiting another summer!!

Do many of you bother to go out during the miserable months??

Miliwolf
    Participant

I do but change my tactics, and instead of going out 3+ times a week I might go out once a fortnight. I have also been sick with mystery virus for the last couple of weekends which kept me indoors :(

I also focus more on deeper water and reefs so my Kayak see more use, and my surf rods see less.

Going to target elephant fish shortly, would probably use my Kayak rather then Surf rods. Got a few theories to test. Winter also holds potential for spearfishing.

Same of the best Snapper and Kingfish fishing can be had at the extreme ends of the Sounds at this time of year, but only accessible by a quality boat.

rdeejay
    Participant

I still like to get out and have a fish but the weather is a bit rubbish in christchurch as you should know. Last notable catch being the 68cm red cod i caught which was turned into thai fish cakes.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

I do when i get the chance which has been a long time coming with first vintage then moving into a new home and then pruning (ie work) getting in the way. But yea i just enjoy being out on the beach catching anything that wants to jump on the line and if it is a fat red cod well then that ends up as fillets being fried in a pan, nice :razz:

I guess it comes down to why people fish in the first place, it could be because they want to restle with big fish – hence only fish the warm summer months for big sharks, or spending quality time with family (those who have family), or and also getting away from general work and home happenings to wet a line and still have fun doing so.
    For me i tick all these, ok winter is colder which makes it less pleasant but then there is warm clothing for that.
    So i happily fish anytime of the year winter or summer, as the quieter times spent fishing can make the times when it hots up or the big one is on the end of the line so much more satisfying.Enough said.

Miliwolf
    Participant

It always amazes me how many people are down at Blind River, Seaview and Salty during the day over winter.

I rarely see people down there over the summer months, maybe they have packed up and gone by the time I get down there, or maybe the sea breeze keeps them away. During the winter months on a nice day its not uncommon to see a couple of cars at each spot.

I find its easier to take time off work during the pruning season then during the summer. During the summer Jobs often have to be completed within a period of a few days while not much changes week to week over the 4 months or so spent pruning.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Doubt I would have the energy or motivation to test my elephant fish theories…. This is how it works.

At this time of year people catch Elephant fish in Wellington harbor, Port Underwood is directly opposite wellington harbor. If they are in wellington harbor at this time of year, they might also be in Port Underwood.

yellowfin
    Participant

Looking at making a trip over to Haast sometime soon, hopefully there will be a spot of good weather, although around now is usually the time it snows down this way.

Edit: From looking on the map it seems a lot longer trip to Haast than it would be to Hokitika/Greymouth way. Anyone fished these areas on the west coast over winter before? Just need to make a decision on where to go.

Google Maps says:

Ashburton – Haast 475 km – about 6 hours 1 min
    Ashburton – Hokitika 275 km – about 3 hours 28 mins

I’m not sure how accurate the estimated times from Google maps are, as it says Ashburton to Nape Nape is 3 hours 30 mins, but it only took me 2 hours(with lite traffic), also it says 6 hours 39 mins to Invercargill, which only took 5 hours.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Greymouth / Hokitika would be closer then haast.

I have never fished Haast before but on my recent trip to Greymouth/Hokitika I decided the beach was much to shallow and boring to fish. It was also quite rough when I was down that way.

The beaches around Hokitika/Greymouth and dominatly sand. Although there is rocky stoney coast north of Greymouth.

From my understanding, the coast around Haast are shingle and rocky beaches… I personally feel at this time of year haast would be the more interesting place to prospect. Was planning a trip down that way myself but decided the coast of the accomodation was to much so went to Golden Bay instead.

Carl
    Participant

[quote:1msw17th]At this time of year people catch Elephant fish in Wellington harbor, Port Underwood is directly opposite wellington harbor. If they are in wellington harbor at this time of year, they might also be in Port Underwood.

Pretty interesting theory, both Welly harbour and Port Underwood face directly south too. We have Ele’s in the harbour all year round and the boaties get into them. I got my last one in Palliser Bay last August, the Rarangi coast reminds me alot of the big Palliser Bay beaches.
    Another thing is we get big Smooth Hounds (Rig) at this time of year. I’ve often wondered if they would be around now in your waters too.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yes both face south, the two habours seem to have a lot in common.

I caught a personal best, another big one, and a few normal rig a month or so back… Since then have not caught any rigs, but my Crab supply is very low and was of poor quality (been re-frozen). Hoping to get a good catch of crabs and see if that changes my luck.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve been told about good catch’s of snapper in mid winter out the furtherest points of the sounds. A farmer my mate was talking to said he catches them all year round. But they’re just harder to get in winter.. Need a boat and to get into deep water to be successful but he said they are still there..

would be keen to know if anyone is successful…. at the moment I’m waiting for summer to come back :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

I think we’re all waiting for summer. Just wanting to catch something bigger than dogfish and red cod. Anyone know if Rays stick around over winter? Never caught one down these ways at this time of the year, but that may also be due to the fact I’ve never targetted them, or fished enough to be able to catch one over winter. Maybe I’ll have to make a trip to lyttleton or timaru to try catch one.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I never caught a winter ray… Skates hang around over winter, and they get quite big. Bugger trying to hook one with dozens of doggies and cod around :x

You could always try conger fishing?

yellowfin
    Participant

Congers are still around in good numbers over winter? I know Skate are around, and shouldn’t be to hard to catch if using dogfish for bait, as you wouldn’t catch much else. The problem with targetting species like congers using normal baits is the amount of dogfish.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.