Whitebaiting 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Haha Oh where is the “like” button?

elmo22
    Participant

not much bait at why-mac on Saturday but lots of ky caught sore approx. 9 caught

yellowfin
    Participant

Plenty of bait going up the Waikouiti today. Some guy caught 4-5kgs just standing in the middle of the river. We missed the boat though but saw some creep up the mouth on the back tide. Could be a good sign with the up coming moon.

elmo22
    Participant

hey fishforpot I hear that some one down at the avon river by kerrs reach have been catching heaps of whitebait 40-50lb and other good catches by what I have heard , Is that person YOU, have not seen you down at the mack yet :shock:

fishforpot
    Participant

Anyone catching that much is obviously selling it ….

I got my key to the gate on Saturday …will be down this week sometime .

How’s the season stacking up ?

Edited to add , had an impulse to eat fresh whitebait so shot down minutes after this post and nabbed just shy of 3lb before lunch …

fishforpot
    Participant

Was just cruising past Richardson Trc heading East , just before Ferry Rd and stopped to see how some wanker was getting on whitebaiting ….
    Screw me blind if he didnt have 20lb in a bucket and another 15 or 20 in his scoop net …..the bait was coming thick and fast with the whole bottom of his net alive with fresh clean bait …

He was telling me his best day last year was 96lb ..

Is the bait running today at the Mac ? will it be tomorrow or early next week ?? …..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Double that guys best catch and its approximately the amount a couple of dedicated guys I know caught all season in the Wairau last year. These guys get up at 4:30am, 7 days a week to make sure they get their spot…..

I do not know why we get comparatively small runs in the Wairau, it has a enormous area of wetlands so should provide good spawning grounds. Maybe most of them make a beeline for the Lagoons and its maze of waterways avoiding all of the nets.

Might have to go traveling next weekend :)

fishforpot
    Participant

Youve gotta keep in mind that very very few are fishing the Heathcote and Avon , those two rivers have meant to be closed for fishing for the last 3 years due to pollution after the EQ’s ….. the bait stocks have exploded …..forget farming and lost breeding grounds , overfishing is what’s killing them off …..
    If we closed every second season it make a massive difference ….2 closed seasons and numbers would by insane

Miliwolf
    Participant

Extremely disturbing if the rivers are closed due to contamination, and if he is catching so much he would be selling it… Sounds like MPI needs to get involved.

shark slayer
    Participant

totaly agree with ffp..its overfishing that ruins the stocks,i dont bait much anymore and if i do its secluded spots..nothing worse than being next to old grumpy guys standing in a line up winging about all sorts of bullshit theories on why the bait is thin..and sitting there thinking,its because youve taken most of them you dickhead.there needs to be a 5 lb max limit put on them wich i think is still generous,hundreds of people lining up and taking as much as they want,what ya think was gonna happen??

yellowfin
    Participant

All very well putting a limit on how much you catch but how many baiters take scales to the river? What about making them harder to catch? ie reducing the size of screen set up’s.Also I know on some rivers those dirty dragnetters get an awful lot. I think they should be banned also. One man for every net I say. But yeah.. make them harder to catch therefor more get through to their respective breeding grounds. Thoughts?

fishforpot
    Participant

Give them the same status as Paua ….meaning you CANNOT sell it …

Yesterday I heard of a guy fishing the Avon catching 500lb already this season , selling it in one hit for $12500 …
    The buyer onsold it for 15 grand 5 minutes later ……who is buying it and who is unwittingly eating it ?

yellowfin
    Participant

Probably some restaurant in Auckland …………

Miliwolf
    Participant

Parts of Australia have a daily weight limit (Tassy has 2kg a day), so if they can enforce and measure it then I see no reason why we can’t.

If anyones interested, I think these are the tassy whitebaiting rules.

http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/fishery-manag … egulations

shark slayer
    Participant

absolutely mili..it would be the fishermans obligation to have scales just like its our obligation to measure fish,crays,and paua.i think its long overdue.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.