Whitebaiting 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone seen anything yet or are the rivers still a bit grubby? Probably way to early as well but someone had to start the new season’s whitebaiting forum. Im getting the pinch already.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Well I am gonna repair my old net and have decent crack at whitebaiting this year, Last time I tried was 1999 and only got half a dozen bait or so.

yellowfin
    Participant

Good stuff Trout, I only just got back into it 3 years ago and I have still get the bug when July rolls around. Heres a little something to get the juices flowing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tipbbbUtqAw

elmo22
    Participant

oh yer that’s one good spot tell me were it is and I will be there lol tell you my good spot. its great to see the bait going over the spotter, gets the heart going,

yellowfin
    Participant

I have no idea where it is cos it aint me. The song is now a favourite though. Somewhere in southland, maybe Oreti or Aparima rivers?

burkefish
    Participant

we noticed all during the salmon season on the waimak that there were small shoals of whitebait going passed us on a regular basis. can’t say have noticed that many in the past 20 odd years I have been fishing there. also siliveries were present the whole season. might be a good season.

elmo22
    Participant

went down the why-mac mouth on sunday to see what its looking like looks better than last year. got a good sand bank build up from the styx river down 200-300 mts towards the mouth in a straight line so hopefully might get a spot.. looks good down around the beach also. not long to season now

elmo22
    Participant

WOW it here at last any one been out or seen any in the rivers????????

yellowfin
    Participant

Quite a few baiters out at Taieri Mouth today. I got enough for a good size patty but no one looked like they were killing it. Biggest lift was probably 20 so pretty quiet but had to get it outta the system. River was perfect unlike last year when it was high and dirty.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Saw about a dozen or so bait in the Opihi this afternoon while Trout fishing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I saw a hundred or so in my local river before opening day.

Was hoping to whitebait the full moon but my local rivers are all in flood, it might just be clear enough tomorrow for a spotting but blind techniques are probably required. I am not a fan of blind fishing so would wait a couple more days.

Checked out the Pelorus today, because it clears a lot quicker then the east coast rivers. Clarity was good (3-4m) but saw no whitebait. Had a look in the Kaituna for the same outcome. Never seen anyone white baiting the Pelorus, but seen a few white baiting the Kaituna. I have the impression neither are overly productive. These so many tiny streams in the sounds which whitebait can enter.

ripshitandbust
    Participant

pretty quiet in here any one having any joy anywhere?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Was down the Opihi on Wednesday and didn’t even see 1 bait :( Gave up after an hour and went Trout fishing instead.

yellowfin
    Participant

Caught 5 bait at Taieri Mouth…….zzzzzz..zzzzzzz

fishforpot
    Participant

About time to introduce bag limits me thinks ….its people like ‘on the fly’ that are wiping out the resource

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.