whitebaiting 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Been feeling a bit sick, so decided to give sock netting a try. My setup is a work in progress but I did manage to catch 220g in about 6 hours yesterday. Was feeling worst today so got there a bit later, new spot but caught no bait in three hours. Even the guys blind dipping at the mouth only had a few.

elmo22
    Participant

got 2lb sat morning and got 10lb today, fished in river today as not many there was very happy with catch

fishforpot
    Participant

That explains the random smile on the person waving as I drove past lol …….I got about 3lb on the beach , in hindsite I shoulda stayed there , then moved further towards the gate as the tide made …..

I went down the back , got another 3 down there , was slow going tho ……..heard everyone in front of me crept along the beach and got 10ish each …..was relaxing down the back tho , and gave me a chance to clean 4lb my mate got in the box net ….he was pretty happy with that …

Miliwolf
    Participant

I would be more then happy with 2lb in a day. If I got 3lb I probably would not bother again for the rest of the season.

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

fishforpot
    Participant

Id vote for it if it was law …….

Went down today , tried to catch a few flounders …..no joy , picked up several pounds while the rod was out tho ……
    There were some huge catches today ….40-50pound plus …….

Miliwolf
    Participant

In Tasmania they have a maximum catch of 2kg a day, with 10kg for a season. Whitebait can not be sold, and whitebaiters and their nets need a license. They also ban the use of screens and I think traps with a nets mouth with a circumference no larger then 120cm. Makes our regulations seem very generous.

Plus the rivers are subject to a schedule of annual rotations of open and closed waters

yellowfin
    Participant

About time they thought of doing that here Mili.If you are catching a couple of hundred pound a season it is nearly commercial quantities.I would be happy with a couple of pound a day.If selling it was illegal it might discourage a few, but there will always be a market for it.At least the commercial fishermen pay tax on their catch.Well most of it when I was one.(hehehehe).

Miliwolf
    Participant

socky

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

for years its been time for us all to mind stocks for our grandchildren wether it be ‘bait or finfish or whatever-gone are the times of big harvest and plunder-hopefully there will be time for nuturing and sustaining what little we have left-for we know now what the future holds,the guesswork has gone,we are watching a historical parting of the fish stocks with the cupboard……but greed seems to be a bottomless barrel…

fishforpot
    Participant

I totally support making it illegal to sell ……watching the boys on the corner spots yesterday struggling to lift the chilly bin full of bait as they loaded a boat to race it over to Pines to sell …..they are living on the river and making a fortune ……..
    I take the fish I can eat fresh , as a rule , maybe 1 to chop up for family …..whitebait is the only fish I freeze , and give heaps away to family ….

Unlike most species , 1 or 2 closed seasons can completely restock decimated whitebait populations …

yellowfin
    Participant

Birdlingsflat

Miliwolf
    Participant

There would be same truly impressive hissy fits thrown if a bag limit was introduced. Especially by the ones who spend thousands to purchase a stand :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

west coast season closed :cry:

only two weeks left east coast :cry:

another 8 months to wait

sh*t

yellowfin
    Participant

last weekend :( got out today at kaiapoi … bait was runnin after about an hour into the incoming tide lol ohh and the bait was running back the other way aswell, exciting but annoying and frustrating.. THEN the wind picked up god damn it!! got about 1lb shoulda been alot more if it wasnt for the wind

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.