whitebaiting 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

i dont know about you guys but man im i looking foward to this baiting season

fishforpot
    Participant

Will be interesting to see if the numbers up the Mac will be better than past years …..something tells me there might be a little more bait , but I fear it’s the habitat they breed and lay eggs in thats the reason behind the decline in numbers …..

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah i think numbers of bait will be higher not alot but yes higher than normal i bait up the kaiapoi so it will be interesting to c if many anglers bait at all and same for the mak because of the sewage hopefully not many fisherman and a lot of bait :lol:

fishforpot
    Participant

The Mac was given the all clear end of last year was it not ?? only thing that concerns me , is the bait drift north along the beach to the Mac , and that means they could be swimming in poo from Waimari/south shore before we catch them

yellowfin
    Participant

yh true it was given the allgoods so hopefully we get an action packed season full of whitebait :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Exert from the Ecan report as of 3rd August:

“Pegasus Bay beaches north of the Waimakariri River, the lower Waimakariri River, Spencerville Beach, Taylors Mistake and the bays in Lyttelton Harbour/Whakaraupō are suitable for recreational water use. However, contact with water in these areas should still be avoided following heavy rainfall due to the risk of contamination from runoff.”

yellowfin
    Participant

oh k sweet cheers for that . sounds like its a go for bait season lets hope its a cracker good luck to all

yellowfin
    Participant

7 more days to go
    went for a lookc to day where i bait nothing really i saw the ODD shoal nothing exiting but im positive thats its going to be a good season

yellowfin
    Participant

4 SLEEPS AWAY :)

fishforpot
    Participant

I recall maybe 20yr ago , it was the first week of the season and we had a good hail/snow storm come thru ….my mate caught 5 1/2lb in a wee setnet in the Avon just upstream from the outlet of Horseshoe Lake …net facing the wrong way ….
    The bait was all creeping back along the bank trying to get into the Lake ….murky water from the lake was coming out the inlet and pushed against the back was flowing upstream with the tide ……bait could smell the fresh water and was following it back down stream ……
    I caught 2 1/2 lb in the scoopnet in the normal fashion , and then the pair of us ate the entire catch , washing it down with a crate of Lion Brown each …….those were the days lol

yellowfin
    Participant

what a shocker start to the season i set out this morning just after 3.30 got all my gears together walked out the door to find SNOW :cry:
    maybe next weekend

fishforpot
    Participant

Did you not pay attention to the weather forecast ?? snow was predicted a week before it arrived ……..

Got my key to the gate this arvo …….all set …….just need some bait in the river

yellowfin
    Participant

anyone know a decent river to use a scoop net in thats baitable in christchurch? use to bait at the avon buuuut … you know, not too healthy atm lol. also done a bit of baiting around the kaiapoi rugby clubrooms. Also anyone had the chance to get out yet??

yellowfin
    Participant

been out and had a look around the kaiapoi river last weekend, didnt see much, did see a trout though lol

fishforpot
    Participant

Blind dragging along macintoshes is ok ….if ya can figure a way to use spotter boards all the better ……
    Dont ask me how to get there , its on the north side of the mac …..ya head for pines beach , take a right turn past the blue motel …..shingle road …….

Ya might find it on google earth …or at least get an idea of where to turn off etc ….

Im sure someone with a better memory “been was 15odd years since Ive been there” can give you a better idea

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.