WHITEBAIT !!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent from 12:30-4:30pm whitebaiting in the diversion today, water was to dirty to spot much of the time so used my sock net. Fished the first half of incoming tide, only saw one tiny shoal swimming upstream.

Around 4pm I was the only one left on my part of the river so decided to pack up, got around 100g in the net. One day I am going to figure out how to catch them.

Any hints on whats the best stage of try?

fishforpot
    Participant

Best tip I could give is to watch the currents …bait dont care a hoot about the tide , when they want to come they come ……you gotta watch the currents , they hug the outflowing water in areas where than can make headway ..
    Dont pay any attention to the actions of others leaving the area , some of the best catches ive taken have been when everyone had pulled out …can recall one day last season where I was the only one with my net in the river , everyone was either gone , drinking piss or talking to mates and looking the other way …..I was tipping 4-5pounds a lift and they were none the wiser …..the way I see it , the less nets in the water the more bait for you

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thanks, I remember a mate telling me they always swim up current. He has seen them during the incoming tide turn around and swim back towards the sea against the current.

But that would suggest, that in many cases the outgoing tide might be better then the incoming because there is more outflowing water.

Just been looking at same satellite images which are harder to find then the normal Google earth and it shows the river at low tide, but more importantly it shows the shallows which are normally hidden. From that I can tell the main path of the main current.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Another day on the river, got there a bit late but was baiting where I wanted by 9:30am, with high tide being at 8am I decided to go quite a distance up river expecting any bait which entered on the incoming must have moved upstream. Saw a nice school almost immediately but that was it until I lifted my net at 12:00 and poured out 100g. Low tide was at 2:30pm, so decided to head closer to the mouth hoping to get them moving up. Stayed there until 4pm but had nothing in the net to show for my effort.

yellowfin
    Participant

I baited this morning about an hour and a half before low tide and was consistantly emptying every scoop untill the tide turned at Taieri mouth. After that it was pretty up and down. Definately now a believer of the tides making no difference. Ended up with about 1.7 kg.

burkefish
    Participant

From the reports i’ve had, sounds like the bait have turned up in the mak and now the river has come down, still might be ok tuesday. must find a net.

yellowfin
    Participant

Any good catches lately guys ??

fishforpot
    Participant

Caught a feed at the Mac this am ….1lb …..this season doesnt seem anything like last year

Avon river Saturday morning was filthy with bait … look forward to the day the health Dept clears it for fishing

shark slayer
    Participant

caught a pound at wainui on friday.bugger all round this way this season,might start targeting the ele’s instead.reliable report from a mate yesterday though,big catches up the kaiapoi river,he got 19lb for the day…another guy absolutely raped it…..30lb plus

yellowfin
    Participant

There have not been alot of people on the kaiapoi that i have seen the past week or two, well at least when i drive past

Miliwolf
    Participant

Whitebaited from 5pm to 8pm, high tide was around 9pm. Nice conditions with a fairly gentle NW blowing. Was the only person on the south side 8) Also caught a few Kahawai while waiting.

On checking the net I had 15g of willow leaves, 25g of cucumber fish and 2960g of eel.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Whitebaited from just before 8am to 12:30, High tide was around 10:30. Was late getting there, but still got the spot I wanted. Someone left a few whiteboards there, and I think the earlier arrivals were to polite just to throw them out of the way.

Caught around 17 whitebait. Although did see one other school. Think I might give up on up river and return to the river mouth.

beameer
    Participant

Fished Rakaia mouth all last week first time in ages the conditions were good, very poor baiting less than a kilo for the week river running high again at mo so perhaps this week may be better.

elmo22
    Participant

went to waimack mouth on sat,sun was poor got 1lb sat and the river has got dirty over night and today only got approx 200 bait the season this year has not been a good one, had 2 good years so it back to normal now hopefully will be some before the end of season

Miliwolf
    Participant

Lots of driving and scouting today, rather then baiting I decided to check out different parts of the river to see whats up.

First checked out the middle Opawa, plenty of weed and someone already had the best spot. Then moved to where the main river meets the tidal section, only two others there. Saw no bait, went trout fishing, saw 1 trout. Then I drove to the diversion mouth, a few were being caught there. Next over to the Bar, short ky fish and chat with a few people I know there. They been having it tough over there to.

Drove home for lunch.

After lunch back to Bar, just missed a school of big KY, bit of baiting but blanked. Back upriver, saw nothing, back to Opawa saw nothing. Checked the Taylor out in town, saw no bait but caught a nice trout, hooked 3 and saw about 30. Then up to the Taylor dam to photograph a few birds and fish.

elmo22

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.