WHITEBAIT !!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I’m all set for the start of the whitebait season. Just 14 more sleeps to go!
    I’ve made a “holding bottle” or whatever it is called to wear around my waist when fishing the Rakaia Scoop Net.
    This is a quite a big plastic bottle. I think it is 4 litres. I’ve drilled plenty of small holes in it for the water to drain out and cut two slots to pass my webbing belt through. Finally I cut a hole in the bottom – which of course will be at the top when worn around my waist. I’ve left 10mm of the bottom in place and cut inside that for added strength.
    Here is a new short video of mine on whitebaiting with a Pole Net: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4BNbPQY_s0&feature=plcp

yellowfin
    Participant

One week today!! Cant wait. Had a dream last night that I filled 2 buckets at the Kakanui so had to finsh up cos I had no where else to put the bait. Taieri mouth will my spot though and might do a bit in the Kaka’s when I go home to see the family. Rivers are pretty high and dirty at the moment but hopefully be nicely flushed out by next week. I know a couple of guys who got a kg last season when it was high and dirty, so not all is lost when the rivers are high.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Got myself a Whitebaiting Belt Bag for $20 from Smithcity, discounted down from $115. Seen it in stock there for the last few seasons but was not prepared to pay their asking price. But the deal was to good to pass up. Would be more useful if I owned a Rakaia Scoop but it might see same use….

elmo22
    Participant

well after 7-8 months of getting my set net ready im still not got it finished yet .. net all new netting and sticthed up only got my trap to do..the net is made of al2 and is bolt together done my 5 gobys as well months ago still got to change my trolly to lock my gear to when i leave it down at the mack mouth BUT will be done when i start baitting approx end of sept hoping 4 a good season like last year

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have not done anything to any of my gear since last season. I would probably do a half arse repair on the river bank then drive home in a mood half a hour later.

yellowfin
    Participant

Will spend the first week watching how the locals do it up here in the wairau river.See if they use drag nets or set or Rakaia scoops.Saw a nice red cod landed at Rarangi half an hour ago.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone managed to go out and have a look around canterbury to see whats about ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Saw a old mate at the river yesterday, he was scouting out the river for the coming season. Would most likely be down there opening day.

socky

Duckman
    Participant

hey socky, up there they use both, can’t remember if its one over the other, when i went baiting used a scoop net but found some at the diversion wading out chest height out in the surf blind dipping, my time baiting use to sit on the south side by the pine tree 3/4’s down near the mouth of the diversion watching me spotter board waiting, the main places to go would be the wairau south of the 2 small wooden bridges down to the mouth, the diversion both sides and rosie’s overflow

elmo22
    Participant

2 more sleeps… just like waiting for santa to come when i was a kid lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Less than 24 hours!! Low tide for the Taieri 7.30am, River will be high and dirty but im keen as mustard so I will be at the mouth in my wet weathers to see whats about.

Participant

August 15, 2012, 7:22 am

A warning for Christchurch whitebait lovers – get your fix from elsewhere.

A health warning’s been issued for some waterways in the city as the risk of contracting Giardia is high.

Medical officer of health, Dr Alistair Humphrey says eggs from the disease live in silt, and because of the earthquakes the risk for this season is high.

“We all like our whitebait patties, but unfortunately we don’t want to have whitebait from the Heathcote or Avon rivers because they’re contaminated at the moment, they’re likely to be contaminated for some time.”

Mr Humphrey says it’s an illness no-one wants.

“If you get Giardia you’re very sick for quite a few months, basically your symptoms are explosive, bloody, diarrhoea.

Duckman
    Participant

no go in the avon as its polluted been articles in the papers

shark slayer
    Participant

yea i read that on teletext last night, only the avon and the estuary though everywhere else in chch should be sweet.you can gaurantee that a few idiots will still bait in there though and spend the rest of the season taking 4 rolls of toilet paper with them when they go baiting….this years a first for me, got a good net at a good price, gonna have a go on friday and over the weekend, the bait should run up as soon as the flooded waters clear right??? or do they not like really fast flow??

Miliwolf
    Participant

Same of the best runs are when the rivers are running dirty, or so I been told.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.