Wheres some decent spots near chch???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hey everyone

I have just got back into fishing after a break of many years.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any decent spots that are kiddie friendly or will provide a decent days fishing with surfcasting equipment.

when I was younger I enjoyed fishing at the mouth of the waimak but have read it has turned to crap.

I have been to the governors bay jetty which was great for the kids but wasnt the greatest for catching any bigger then smallish doggies.

I also went to lyttleton which was hard with the kids due to only being able to fish from the rocks.

So if anyone has any suggestions these would be greatly appreciated

Participant

I think there’s still a small wharf here (1m wide) that is good for red cod and alot of doggies in lyttleton.
    http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&sourc … 2&t=h&z=17

Birdlings flat not the safest for kids unless it’s been blowing nor-w for a few days and i’d still be careful.

All the beaches up the coast (pegasus bay) lethfield, abnerley etc are fishable but you might not have much luck.

Gore bay usually has rig and kahawai to offer. Port robinson bay close by is worth a look also.

There’s my few cents worth, hope it helps.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey there
    Thanks for your reply
    I couldnt find that wharf when I went
    I wouldnt mind catching a few red cod people dont really like catching them it seems like but they can be nice to eat not to sure about the ones from lyttleton tho.
    :)
    I am not allowed to drive due to vision problems so have to rely on friends taking me
    Has anyone bee to sumner lately and if so have they had any luck?

yellowfin
    Participant

Not the best time of the year to be getting out surfcasting unless you’re after dogfish, skate, red cod and a slight chance of a kahawai. Surfcasting at any of the beaches north and south of christchurch is worthwhile over the summer months from around October through to April. There’s a few places around Lyttelton to fish and a few wharfs you can access. You’ll get kahawai, mullet, skate, rig, school sharks, red cod, and a lot of dogfish at times. The wharf at Corsair bay is a nice spot and I caught kahawai and mullet there. A lot of stingrays all around lyttelton over the warmer months as well so if you’re not after them use small baits and keep them off the bottom. Wouldn’t be sure about eating the fish from lyttelton tho but I guess it would be alright. The Pier is I guess an underated fishing spot as you can catch a lot of different species and it’s not far to travel. Get yourself some crabs for bait and head to any of the spots around christchurch and with the right conditions rig/elephant fish will be very easy to catch.

As I said now is not a good time for fishing and at least a few months before most of the species like kahawai start coming back in numbers.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that info
    Yeah I know it aint the best time to be going out
    I need to do something tho I am going crazy lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey again sorry to be a pain but I was wondering if someone could please post or tell me some good rigs to catch cod on?
    Also has anyone used those lumo bead things in their rig if so how many and where abouts do you place them?
    Thanks all

yellowfin
    Participant

Found an old picture:

A two or three hook ledger rig will catch just about anything. For red cod a 5/0 hook is fine although you could maybe use a bit bigger to avoid hooking small dogfish although in reality you’ll hook even the smallest of dogfish on a 10/0 hook if they’re around in numbers. I make traces up with 80 or 100lb mono which should make your traces last longer and prevent against abrasion. Using swivels on your trace help prevent fish rolling and getting tangled up and also make it easy to clip your trace to your mainline if you use a clip swivel.

As for using lumo beads/tubes, just put them on the dropper loop and with the tubes I push them up just over the eye of the hook to keep them in place and also prevents your mono from getting worn or bitten off by dogfish or other sharks. Might make a post one day of how to make certain traces etc

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Zac
    Thanks for that
    I will make up a few ledger rigs tonight I only have 60lb mono atm so will have to get some stronger stuff :)
    Now all I have to do is talk a mate into taking me out
    Thanks again and have a great day

Miliwolf
    Participant

60lb is fine for ledger rigs. I use 80lb for all but my shark rigs and never had any issue so 60lb would work fine for starters.

yellowfin
    Participant

another place that you could take kids is the waimak mouth or kaiapoi river

yellowfin
    Participant

I used t fish at the mouth but have heard it is no good anymore
    I drove there a couple weeks back and have noticed they have a board with the regulations and stuff on it?
    Anyone caught much there recently??

yellowfin
    Participant

i havnt fished there for a wee while but during summer you can get kahawai and mullet. during winter its possible to get sole and flounder also spiny doggies and red cod and the odd kahawai. all on bait by the way and lures could get salmon maybe sea run trout and kahawai. all inside the river mouth. fishing off the beaches near the mouth could get the same specie s and also rig and eles

keenfisherman
    Participant

go 2 diamond harbour wharf. Berly up and you’ll get of mullet, spotties, red cod, doggies, sting rays etc. Use sabiki rigs with bait for the best results. Good safe place to take the kids.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.