where to catch eels?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

ive heard that travis wetlands has a few eels in but i dont know about fishing there

yellowfin
    Participant

can catch eels inalot of rivers and creeks like the kaiapoi river when its dirty is full of em also at night

fishforpot
    Participant

See a lot of big eels when Im fishing for mullet off the Avondale Rd bridge …….they come out of the weed and suck the bait off the hook …..
    Can see them with polaroid glasses , I recall fishing off the bridge as a kid and often watching rod tips slowly dip then pop back up ….we always assumed it was weed midwater drifting with the tide , pulling the line before breaking apart under the strain ……but no , its them bloody eels ….

I suggest using a larger bait , with a keeper hook , and striking once the bait’s sucked in ……

yellowfin
    Participant

yea a tell tale sign an eel has grabbed your bait the slow put then quick pop back up then again and again pretty much till you wind in.

Trumpy
    Participant

Two places in Temuka,
    (where I grew up) was Halls Creek and down by the old wool scour off Domain Ave.
    We used to go there at night and spotlight them back in the mid-80’s, good bait for sharks and if you put a bit of aniseed oil on them, you got some pretty decent trout in the river.
    This was of course before the rivers were turned to shit by Industry.
    For Christ sakes, don’t eat eels, only use them as bait, there was a guy here that tried to smoke an eel he caught, it made him pretty crook. :sad:

yellowfin
    Participant

try not to get shocked by an electric eel friend. :lol:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.