where are the lower reaches trout?

Posted By smells like fish On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  smells like fish 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

smells like fish
    Participant

I know all the mature trout head inland to spawn in the winter but where do the immature trout go in the tidal areas?Ive been out fishing a few times lately and not seen any sign of trout or perch.Surely the lower reaches are not completely dead in the winter?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Ive been wondering the same thing, Been down the lower Opihi a couple of times but seen no sign of any Trout.

smells like fish
    Participant

yes surely there are some around?another 6 weeks and the whitebait will be around and so will trout….

shark slayer
    Participant

6 weeks time is when whitebait season starts not when the whitebait start running they will be around well before then and so will the sea runs..its been a slow start this year but there are a few searuns around they are just few and far between at the moment.the lower reaches are always pretty dead for resident fish at this time of the year.

smells like fish
    Participant

I think they are sitting on the bottom conserving energy waiting for the spring .Don’t the whitebait start running once the water warms up?

shark slayer
    Participant

i have seen big schools of bait in july..the water dosnt really start warming up until late october early november..

burkefish
    Participant

we had shoals of bait going past in april in the mak.

troutfishernz
    Participant

One small searun from Rangitata this morning, seems the searuns haven’t arrived in numbers yet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members