What weapon do you use to slay salmon ?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

oh k i work at fishermans loft

fisho
    Participant

I use braid for salmon fishing and love it. Im sure i hook more fish because of it.

Biggest thing is fishing longer, softer, quicker action rods and lighter drags and soft hands.

we all know there is almost no strech with braid (only up to 4%) so you will get instant hook sets on those “soft takes” you would most not even feel with mono and you can feel every little bump so you know when your lures is working and not working. More and more people are starting to use braid for salmon fishing and some of the older salmon fishermen are the most hard to convert. i know a few chainging.

Im not saying its for everyone but people looking for an advantage might want to give it a try.

One of the hardest thing is getting use to fighing fish on braid. its a very brutal fight and you feel every thing the fish is doing.

I use a long 15lb fluro carbon leader (8-9ft) mainly for the abrasion restance on stones and also to add a “shock leader”. Braid has shocking abrasion restance. Check your joining knots and cut off worn braid same as you would with mono.

My rod at the moment is Mexican Fire 8’6″

and Reel is a shimano Curado 200 DHSV spooled with 20lb braid

up river in smaller water i will change to a shorter rod 7′ Backbone 4-8kg or Shimano Akrab 7′ 8-14lb

Its funny fishing the river mouth with such a small reel some of the looks and comments i get, are you fishing for trout.? but casting twice as far as other people soon gets a few looks aswell.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

All my sea fishing is done with braid and I wouldnt go back to mono for that. I see a couple of guys here use Mexican Fire rods, they look the business I reckon and would be great at the Waimak mouth at the moment with it being so wide.

yellowfin
    Participant

iv always wonderd about braid never used it only because i cant be botherd with a shock leader otherwise i would be right into it

yellowfin
    Participant

has anybody tried fly fishing for salmon

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I know it doesnt really count but a mate and his dad and 2 brothers pulled about 100 out of the canals on the fly about 3 months back after the big escape they had at the salmon farm. I was spinning with a rubber Storm lure and got one nearly every cast tho so it was like the old saying, shooting fish in a barrel.

yellowfin
    Participant

good stuff were the fish very big

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

About 2lb on average. There were literally hundreds being caught. There were a lot of people blatantly ignoring the rules too. I saw a car load of people take over 30 fish and not put one back. Plenty of others were upgrading their fish as they caught something larger and throwing the dead ones back. The last time I fished the canals (about a month back) I didnt hook a thing in a couple of hours fishing which is unusual. I suspect that the added pressure from the 1000’s of people fishing for these small salmon has nearly cleared the canals of all fish.

fisho
    Participant

Tom when you are fly fishing do you bother using a leader and tippet or do you just tie direct onto your flyline?

why cant you be “bothered” tying on a shock leader to braid. Albright knot is simple and hasnt let me down yet….

i tested the knot a few times to find the best number of turns with the dia braid and leader im using.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes u need a leader and tippet with fly fishing
    i have found when spining for trout and things a shock leader doesnt really matter it doesnt scare the fish and never snaps
    i dont use braid though with salmon iv herd to many bad things about it and not many good things ino u can cast ferther and the sensitivity is good but half the time u hook salmon at your feet and most of the time you can feel if something hits

CharlesSmith
    Participant

#1 is my Lure Rod a CD Evolution cut down to 10ft made buy Stu Falconer in Timaru with a Sage 6000 saltwater reel

#2 my Surf rod is a Harrison or a Hemingway built buy Stu Falconer with either penn 525mag or Shimano Trinidad 14 using 20lbs line

#3 is a Killwell Ulitma Gut low mount with a Shimano calcutta 400te

http://www.fieldandstreamsports.co.nz/custom-bound-rods

yellowfin
    Participant

I fish in the surf a lot and I use a 13 tricast and the reel I use is a Revo Toro NaCl 60 spooled with 65 pound braid. I use 2-3 feet of 30 pound flurocarbon off the end. Ever since I started using braid I have been catching more fish and I love the fights as you can feel everything. Some people don’t like braid and all I say is have you used it and the answer is usually no. Get out there and try braid dont use the cheap crap you get off trademe go into a tackle store and get some good stuff like fireline.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I’ve been using a 7′ G Loomis GLX with a Calcutta 400te for a while now although I reckon the reel is unlucky as I have never hooked a salmon when using it. It seems every time I use another reel I hook something so I have bought one of the new 400d Calcutta’s which caught me a fish on my second trip with it. Has anyone else had gear which seems to be unlucky or cursed ? !

yellowfin
    Participant

I tried my hand at salmon fishing for the first time last season, I was using a 8’6 Tica Red Back Rod,line rated to 8kg and a Abu 6500c3 loaded with 18lb mono Berkley Trilene. Caught 5 salmon on this set up and was stoked with it.

This season I decided to up grade to a Gloomis GL3 8’6 line rated to 17lb and a Shamano Calcutta 400B reel loaded with 30lb Berkley Fireline Braid. Landed my 1st and biggest salmon on this set up for this season and it handled it like a dream (22lb) and landed another up river (13lb).

It’s hard to say what I found was better out of mono and braid being that I’m new at this, but what I found with mono I had to strike hard to set the hook, I lost a fish for not doing so.
    With braid tho I can feel every little bump as I’m feeling more connected to my lure due to no stretch, I didn’t strike that hard either letting the fast action tip of my rod to do the work, but yea it’s interesting to read other people’s feed back on this topic

burkefish
    Participant

i have found braid on spinning reel for me has two problems, 1 its a cow to untangle. 2 when casting into the wind i found it shortened my cast distance as the wind seemed to catch it ballon it out much more than nylon. on the other hand one you cannot seem to get -spiderwire fusion i use on a light spinning rod with a small float that also acts as an indicator when fishing with nymphs and dryfly etc is good as it floats and you can mend it like a flyline. my salmon rod is a fenwick hmg with a tica tarus reel. these reels (i have 4) have lasted me for 4 seasons before that i would go through a reel a season. i use suffix senergy mono 14lb .30mm in the river and 19lb .35mm in the surf. i have a custom built tricast 12ft.rod and use a dam low stem spinniing reel and have a measured cast on average 88-90metres with a 56gm ticer. i use spinning reels because of a neck injury that affects the nerves in my hands. but i guess the best gear to use is what you are most comfortable with and can use all day without completely wearing youself out.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.