What weapon do you use to slay salmon ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Hi all,

not interested in getting into what wobblers/lures etc. you use but wondering what everyone else uses rod an reel-wise and where you mostly use them. I will kick it off with;

Gut rod – Shimano Backbone 4-8kg with a Shimano Cardiff 400

Likes: Casts wobblers over 20g well, plenty of grunt once you are on, good for soft baiting snapper in the sounds

Dislikes: Cardiff drag can be a bit sticky at times, rod a bit stiff for casting lures under 20 gram

Surf rod – Tica Enticer 1200LMS with an Abu 6600C4

Likes: It was cheap ! $179.00 from The Complete Angler at the end of last season

Dislikes: 85gram weight forward ticers are just a bit heavy for it, Heavier than some of the more expensive rods out there, could be a foot longer, I haven’t had a fish on it yet.

I fish mostly the Waimak mouth because it is close but try to get a fish in wherever the reports are good, anywhere between the Opihi, Orari, Rangi or Rakaia.

The backbone has landed me two fish so far, an 11lber at the south side of the Mak last season (my first) and a 15lber at the Opihi this season in the gut and on my first cast ! I also hooked and lost a good fish in the surf at the Orari the other week on this rod when the surf was small.

The enticer has yet to produce me a fish however I did foul hook a good fish at the Mak mouth on it about a month ago. I had about 50m of line out when it took another 50m real quick and then started tail walking and doing more back flips than Travis Pastrana before throwing the hook.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi mate,I use a Kilwell Ultima “Gut rod” paired with a shimano calcutta B, which is spooled with 20lb Yo-zuri hybrid for fishing up river on the Rakaia and at the Waimak mouth.I use this rod when the river has plenty of colour in and it’s a damn fine combo..however,when the river becomes low and clear I pull out a little Cabelas TXS paired with a shimano citica 2000 D,this is spooled with 10lb Yo-zuri and I use it to fish small spinners in clear water..those who know me can attest to it’s effectiveness when the conditions become tough..lots of fun playing fish on this outfit :D

gunnercoops
    Participant

just cheapo gear for me, but a question…what about using braid for salmon fishing…it would increase your casting distance, especially in the surf / rivermouth?

yellowfin
    Participant

I tried braid for a couple of years on my light gear,lost 6 fish in a row with it during that time, all with the hooks pulling out even after a minute or so,I would never use it again as I’ve witnessed too many fish lost over the years on braid!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Kevo, you have bigger kahunas than me fishing with the TXS and Citica with 10lb line ! I used 15lb no-name mono last season and landed a fish but have gone to 20lb Cajun Red line this year. It is incredibly strong and seems to have very little memory. I think I’ll be using it for a while since I now have a 4500m spool of it !

Hi Gunnercoops, I find light braid a pain in the arse with wind knots. I use it for soft baiting but always with a decent mono leader of similar breaking strain. The fact it has no stretch can be the difference between landing a lip hooked fish and loosing it I reckon. Probably worse than fishing with too much drag. I learnt that lesson in the surf at the Orari last week with the hook pulling from a good fish at my feet. My mate told me at the time to back off but being a skull dragger from wayback I didn’t listen. A lesson learnt the hard way is a lesson remembered :???: !

gunnercoops
    Participant

Well that answers that Q…no braid. Will be getitng down the Mak tomorrow night and at weekend, river should be much improved.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I skived off from work this arvo and had a look at the colour at Mcleans Island area. It looks to be improving quickly. Maybe I will check out the mouth tonight, might even pull a sickie tomorrow and put the boat in the Kaiapoi and go down to the hole for a bit around high tide. If you see a Haines called Searaider II give me a wave.

P.S. Its an older red and white Haines Hunter, not a gin palace towed behind an X5 (although I wish it was :mrgreen: )!

baitman
    Participant

for the river I got a shimano raider extreme 7 foot baitcast rod with a abu ambassadeur 6000 with 20lb mono
    in the surf (I don’t fish alot) I use a cheap 10 foot silstar setup I bought for rock fishing/kahawai spinning

I tried braid found wind knots a problem too and also lost a monster rainbow in coleridge at my feet (I cried)
    zero stretch is not a good thing in this style of fishing imo.

baitman
    Participant

here is a Q: in what situation would you use those huge zed spinners?
    another: who here uses an otter board for getting your zeddies unstuck? mine is a peice of half inch ply 20cm by 10cm with a snap swivel stapled loosely in the centre. this type was shown to me by the first guy i went salmon fishing with years ago and i havnt seen another since.

yellowfin
    Participant

hey baitman yh i do that trick but i use a jiff bottle or powerade bottle with a snap swivle seems to do the trick

baitman
    Participant

thanks tom that interesting I thought using a flat board was to get it under like a hydroplane on a submarine. Does the bottle go under down to the lure very easily? Also where are you standing ? upstream?

yellowfin
    Participant

well i only use this n the mak and rangi i normally use the bottle and stand up stream let the bottle float out and then once the bottle is straight over the lure/snag i gigge the rod and 90 percent of the time it comes of

yellowfin
    Participant

Toms method works a treat,have done the same on the rakaia over the years,something the old boys seem to do more than the younger blokes.Baitman,I once seen my mates old man pull an 18lber out of the rakaia on a 36g zeddie..he is an expert angler and has fished for salmon all his life,he said that in marginal conditions the fish will take the big ones,he also used them on the waitaki to get down!!..personally,I prefer to use the lightest spinner I can to get the job done effectively whether at the mouth or up river,that way you have a superior action to intice a bite!!..imo

yellowfin
    Participant

my choice of weapon is a 8foot6 shimarno mexican fire 2 peice rod with a cacutta 400b and 15lb yo zuri for fishing the mouths and getting a new g loomis gl3 7 foot with a cacutta 200b for up river . though i have a small spin set i use up the kaiapoi wich is a shimarno backbone with a we dunger spin reel and 10 lb yo zuri

yellowfin
    Participant

i use my hands its the most simple way

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.