what size hooks for beach flounder?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    smells like fish
    Participant

Hi had a go trying to catch flounder at the beach using corn and worms.Seemed to be getting bites and had one on for a brief moment.I was using hooks about 15mm should they be smaller or should I be “striking” at the bites.

Was on dead low tide with it starting to come in and it was on dusk.

troutfishernz
    Participant

I normally use the same hooks that I use for Trout I think they are around size 8 or 10. Yeah you should strike at the bites but only once they decent enough to pull the rod down and not just little taps.

smells like fish
    Participant

also i was using a running leger rig as i assume the flounders would be staying on the sea floor and not swimming up to get bait.?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yes your bait need to be flat on the sea floor which is why I use 2 sinkers one at the top of the rig and one at the bottom.

smells like fish
    Participant

blimmin crabs are taking the bait,caught one the size of my fist,i guess if there are lots of crabs about then the flounder are not.

gunnercoops
    Participant

I know in the Uk, a spoon was often used, just moved across the seabed, often with a bit of bait attached, the fish go for the movement….or so goes the theory…could be worth a try.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes and no, have pulled the flounder net in before with a fair few flounder and crabs in it at the same time, 2 types of crabs mud and paddle, though the mud crabs had set upon a flounder bloody things

smells like fish
    Participant

went out to the beach to get the incoming tide to try a spoon draged along the bottom,it was way to windy so i went to the estuery as it hooks around and is sheltered from the wind.
    tried the spoon lure but every cast hooked up with weed even though the water conditions were clear so tied a leger rig with weights at each end to keep the bait (corn) flat on the ground.
    waited for about 2 hours no bites at all, ever threw out plenty of corn as berly ,tide was coming in quite fast.
    Do you need a liscence to fish the esturey?

troutfishernz
    Participant

smells like fish

smells like fish
    Participant

oh so you have had success with the spoon?I am thinking you need a small treble hook for the spoon to fit the flounder mouth not the standard size?

do you bait the hook as well or just by it self,what do you bait it with if you do?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah I got 4 at Opihi Mouth today on a spoon, Didn’t even get a bite on the Corn.

Ive cought flounder on Small 3g trout Lures up to 20g Salmon spoons So I dont think size matters too much, a lot of the time they are foul hooked anyway.

I personally Don’t bait the hook as Ive never seen the need to.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.