what kind of salmon??

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

i’m planning on making a trip over there in late aug early sept (for a year) and i was wondering what kind of salmon live in your waters. in british columbia we have chinnok coho chum pink and sockeye. from the pics ive seen ,all i see is chinnok (black mouth ) is that the only specise there?? i mostly float fish with some sort of egg imitaion( wool, rubber egg,s spin n glo) but ive seen that some rivers have regulations saying your not allowed to fish with a float? is that only with bait?? what about floating fly lines then?? thanks for reading

cheers Matt

yellowfin
    Participant

Chinook almost exclusively. There are sockeye in Lake Benmore, not sure about anywhere else though. Most people fish with zed spinners up river, or large hex ticers in the surf by the mouths of the rivers. Also lures around the gut of the larger east coast rivers I think. Don’t quote me though, i’m certainly not an expert. The only places you can bait for the sea run salmon are in the kaiapoi river and dunedin harbour. As far as baits go, it has to be a whole bait (i.e. no chopping a pilchard in half) with no added stuff to liven it up. Fish eggs are definately out.
    Grimace

yellowfin
    Participant

although a egg imitation should be fine

yellowfin
    Participant

True. Todays lesson in answering the question being asked. :)

yellowfin
    Participant

no one uses roe?? its the most popualar thing here. some people use prawns, shrimp and goast shrimp as well but more for steelhead( sea going rainbow ).if your fising from a boat do you back troll or just cast? can you fish from a boat?? its wild the same fish but very different. are egge imitaions used at all?? thanks for the help

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s more a case of not being allowed to use roe. Fish and Game regulations forbid it. Some people fish from a boat, at least on the Waimakariri up from the mouth. The rivers are all braided a couple of km’s up from the mouth, so I think anchoring is pretty much impossible. People do use jet-boats to navigate the rivers in search of suitable pools. What size rivers do you have up there? (Pretty large by our standards I should imagine).
    Not sure about egg imitations. I’ve only started fishing salmon this year, and yet to catch one. People use zed spinners almost exclusively at Mackintoshes rocks on the waimak. (Most of the information I’ve got is from reading Ross Millichamp’s book, Salmon FIshing in the South Island)
    Regards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members