Wellington/ Wairarapa area

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Quite new to the fishing deal. I’m in Welington city and wondered if there was any decent Surfcastng spot in the area I’m hppy to head over the hill to the Wairarapa if there is any that way. Also I have access to a cray pot and wondered if there was any shore locations I could drop it ( I’ve heard it could be possable from Castle Point? is that true?

Any hep would be awesome!

Cheers,

Pete.

fishforpot
    Participant

A mate of mine that I fish with a lot hails from Welly , he fished club stuff with Pete Lamb , a well known fisho who made several fishing videos many years ago …..

Drop him a PM and he should be able to offer some advice ………….dazzer is his username

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Save yourself some time, just go into Hamills on Old Hutt Rd in Thorndon by the Aotea overbridge and talk to Neil Angus. He would know as much if not more than Lambo only is easier to get a hold of. Lambo is often away from the shop chartering etc.

surfrod
    Participant

Hi there, i’m Welly based too. Pete Lamb has been out of the game for ages. I’d strongly recommend going to Steve’s fishing Shop in Ghuznee Street. Steve has won the Wellington beach fishing title several times, is a great bloke and will give you good honest advice. Hamill’s is a good shop but doesn’t have any good surfcasters on the staff, talk to Brad if you go there. Not sure who Neil Angus is, but he’s not one of the top guys going around. You could think about joining the Welly surfcasting club too

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Bishy .

I haven’t been able to fish the clubs comps due to kids and work but I do know surfcasting reasonably well.
    There are a lot of guys in the welly region who are not club members and do as well as the top clubbies .I saw two very large snapper this week caught in the harbor by a non clubbie and he is very anti the club …( dont know why )

Steve is a great bloke and has a wealth of knowledge on the area.

surfrod
    Participant

Hi Yeahnah, think I actually might know who you are and am I right in saying you got badly schooled when you fished the club comps? :wink: It’s easy to argue you’re getting good results when you don’t actually have to front up. That’s why i’d recommend Steve, he fronts up with a bin of fish every time, most guys can’t even live in his company. You can’t pay for the sort of advice he can give you

yellowfin
    Participant

From memory I think I have only ever fished a few of the club comps . Working weekends sort of stuffs up fishing club comps and spending time with the kids and wife is more important to me then catching fish.
    You can view that as a cop out if you like but its the truth.

Steves a very good fisho no argument there . George at hunt and fish also really knows his stuff as well.

surfrod
    Participant

Yes George, another nice guy and PROVEN fisho.

Everybody loves a family man Yeahnah, but fishing stripes are earned eh

yellowfin
    Participant

Cool thanks guys. Been and seen Steve was quite helpful

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

surfrod

Miliwolf
    Participant

Neil is so good that he even handicaps himself by choosing to use overhead reels.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

:lol:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.