Was fishing in the Kenepuru…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Guys, I was wondering if you could help me identify what I was hookin into this weekend. We were in the Kenepuru head tied up to a mussle farm, from about 12pm-5pm laid down the burly as soon as we arrived, nothing was happening apart from the odd small ray and of course those annoying spotties! As the tide started to move towards high tide we were getting some BIG hits. I mean the reels were screeming! The first fish my mate hooked into (was using black magic snapper snatcher and kahwai as bait) took the bait gingerly then powered off with it, he struck and hooked into it, because we were inbetween 2 mussle rows we had to reel hard from the word go, otherwise they would go between one of the ropes and snap the line.

Anyways he hooked into this fish and it was going so hard he couldn’t stop the fish from running on 30lb line and a 80lb trace, the fish got off and on closer inspection it had completely bent the hook! He hooked another one but the fish powered off and snapped him. We started giving him shit about his fishing skills, but he was like “just wait until you get one then you will know!” I was about to find out what he ment…

I used a straylining rig with a full pilchard as bait ( tied onto a single hook with cotton).The bait runner started to roll out then WHAM! off it when like a steam train!! I honestly couldn’t control it, it just took off and no matter how hard I tried to control it, it just powered on .The fish went around a mussle rope and snap…we hooked into 5 of these fish,

St_Paul
    Participant

sounds like kingfish, have had the same thing happen in queen charlotte

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds like kingfish to me too. Yes kingfish will take dead baits.

Yellowfin

Sevengillz
    Participant

Gettin hookups like that up the Kenepuru this time of year sounds like good news to me! I thought it would still be quite early in the year to be experiencing kingis up that way so maybe the water temperature is up there already? Ive had runs like that in the inner pelorus and keneperu when I was younger and it was quite scary getting the boat turned round by something so powerful on the end of my line.Being so young at the time I wasnt at all keen on finding out what it was and ended up getting a few runs like that that all ended in bust offs.We put it down to being big stingrays,and I mean big!

But yeah up them ways there would only be a few fish that would run like that,Kingis,Snapper,Rays or maybe some sort of shark and theres really only one way to find out! ;)

SPOTTIES! they are a pain in the arse pretty much anywhere in the sounds

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve caught a big ray before and these were definately not rays…But I also went out on friday night, very quiet but hooked into another big big fish (about 1am)..this time I think it could have been a snapper. The first hit was so fast and powerfull, picked up the line and dropped it, then it went on another run. Could feel the fishes head shaking franticaly to get the hook out of its mouth,but again hte fish prooved far to powerfull for my 25lb line and busted me off when it went under the boat..(couldnt get it back no matter how hard I tried!) so I’m definately buying some braid! I’ve gotta see what these fish are! In the morning we caught a tiny baby snapper (size of my hand) on a bait jig, so thats a good sign for sure.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Ran under the boat n busted you off? that sounds more like a kingi.Sweeet im off to Durville/Stephens ways this satdey may have to stop at the mouth of the kenepuru for a try now.Mite be a good time to breakout the 24kg standup! :D

How far up the Kenepuru were ya?

Did ya burley up when you were straylining the first time you got on to these moochers?

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Seven, yeah we burlied up just with the frozen burley bombs 1 attached to anchor 1 attached to a rope just floating on surface of water. We were fishing very close to the opening, as you go into the Kenepuru mussel farm on your left hand side. At first we were fishing down one of the mussel channels but this isn’t a good idea as we found out! I would suggest anchoring up just off the Mussel Farm to avoid any snags! Let me know how you get on and if you catch anything..there were alot of boats out on friday night, not sure if it was because of school holidays or a good time to fish..

Sevengillz
    Participant

Cool,I sure hope they were kingis you were gettin into,Ive seen a few but never hooked one and if they are in the inner sounds already then hopefully we have got a chance at finding one out the pelorus ways.weather permitting :cool:

Will post a report at some stage saturday.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Spewing,apparently sea area cook aint gonna be too sh*t hot this weekend so we postponed.Hopefully this nor-west keeps up for a day or two then I can shoot down the coast for a look.See whats happening on the shark front.:cool:

yellowfin
    Participant

What types of fishing can i do with my new rod and reel combo? i have the ugly stick catfish, bait-caster rod and reel combo.the rod is a medium to heavy action pole. what type of fishing can i do with this rod and reel besides cat-fishing?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have never seen that rod before, but should be fine for general wharf and boat fishing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.