Wanaka help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    davo
    Participant

:) Hi all, last year went to Wanaka bit of boating fun, kids wanted to go fishing got licences but didnt have any luck, can anyone point us in the right direction with some tips as we`re going again at New Year. Much apprec thanks :)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

At the outlet to lake wanaka [where the Clutha river leave lake wanaka, the local fishing stores will tell you where it is if you don’t know]
    is a good place to fish i stood on the edge of the river looking down into the gully which runs down the middle and saw about 8-9 wee troutlets swimming around eating bullies.

Later that evening i caught a 4lb rainbow trout which was in good condition.
    Great place to take the kids, with a small beach nearby, and if the kids are old enough there is a bike track all the way there.
    But if thats not your cup of tea then there is also a road to the beach aswell.

The trout i caught was caught on a yellow tazmanien devil with black spots and a red stripe on it, just on dark [which was what the local fishing store recomended]

Hope this helped :)

I have been fishing further round the other side of the lake but found sand flies a problem [none of these at the outlet]

davo
    Participant

Thanks Fishsnatcher will take a look sounds like a nice spot,will have rods and bikes so just need fine weather :)

Yakkaman
    Participant

All edges of lakes is good look for where there is weed a sandy or barron area is not worth fishing, most people think you have to cast as far out into the midele of a lake but not true cast on a 45 degree angle and vary your speed of spinning to make tassie more realistic.90% of fish are caught within the last 10m of the shore fly fishermen hook up within 2-5m of the shore and can catch up to 15 fish a day lucky buggers.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Wherever you go put some time into fishing there i went there twice before catching a fish so not too much effort on my part but….
    the more you fish the more you catch.

And there is also a small chance of a salmon in lake Wanaka :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.