Waimakariri rivermouth.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I know from reading posts on here that a lot of you fish the mouth(as I do), but wondering if any of you regulars have seen or caught a Ray/Skate there? The reason I ask is that in all the years I have fished there I have never seen or heard of one until very recently, when I was told that somebody spooked one nearly stepping on it! Also I have seen 3 anglers in the last 2 mnths spooled by something I figure is rather large that has towed them out to the surf then taken there gear with them, periodically ‘going to ground’ along the way, definately a fish of some description judging from the action of the rods. 2 anglers were Salmon fishing & 1 surfcasting, & although the Salmon anglers swear they lost the fish of a lifetime, I have never known a Salmon to stop dead in its tracks for extended periods until enough pressure/leverage could be gained to get the thing off the bottom & moving again.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

yellowfin
    Participant

Not sure if this is coomon knowledge, but you can often get them to move if you tighten the line up and pluck it like a guitar. Can’t remember the number of times I got nailed by a ray fishing off the Raglan wharf when I was a kid.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, will remember that if ever I suspect I have a big 1 on the other end, cheers.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes sounds like a skate to me have got them there on some occasions along with other very very large kaiwhai and other species although never been spolled bythem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.