Waimak Mouth Trawler

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I Have been out to the mouth of the Mak a couple of times over the last few days and noticed a Trawler about 1 or 2 K’s off the Mouth tops. Has anyone else seen it sniffing around?? It was out there for a good couple of hours on Fri night so it’s obviously not just “Passing through” Be a shame if they were trying to sound around for Salmon, Kawhai etc. Any idea of the rules and regs for Trawlers at river mouths??

yellowfin
    Participant

It was there today also..who knows what they catch..hopefully not salmon!

yellowfin
    Participant

it could be a trawler going for eles etc, but also like said kahawai/salmon (wouldnt suprize me ) or even kinigis, then again there are some commercial Clam boats that work those areas

burkefish
    Participant

to catch salmon the trawlers need to be large, the inshore ones are to smalland to slow. they need trawl at about 8 or 9knots salmon have a speed in the 20+ km per hr range. commercial inshore set netters are a bigger problem for salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

my guess is its a commercial clam boat but i have not seen it out there as have not been, out there,

yellowfin
    Participant

I Have been out to the mouth of the Mak a couple of times over the last few days and noticed a Trawler about 1 or 2 K’s off the Mouth tops. :dude:

burkefish
    Participant

inshore trawlers are to slow to catch salmon. probably after flat fish at this time of the year.

shark slayer
    Participant

trawlers are not to slow for salmon at all,they take kingis,kahawai,various species of shark as by catch including mako sharks wich would leave salmon for absolute dead in a race,even eles flounder and rig are quick,the fish dont know whats happening until it is to late.so any activity in that close especialy around mouths should be reported…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.