WAIMAK KAHAWAI

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Only one kahawai taken on the outgoing tide tonight at the Waimakariri River mouth. Water clear. Looked very fishy but nothing doing!

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,

Can anyone tell me. Do I need a licence to fish at the Waimak if I am only after Kahawai or Yellow Eyed Mullet for bait?

Cheers

fishforpot
    Participant

I spoke with a Ranger last year on the South side of the Mac …when I asked him where the mouth was so I could measure 500mtrs from it , he confessed that they didnt know , and it moves all the time…..

He went on to say , as long as I was at the front of the salmon fisherman , even if I was in the river a little but still in the surf , they didnt mind me fishing for kahawai without a licence as long as I returned any salmon if I happened to hook one ……

You should be fine baitfishing , as long as you aint suspending whole pillies under a float ….

There’s all sorts of ways to interpret the Regs , and you will get told all sorts ….best bet is seek out the Ranger , and tell him what you want to do , and ask if that’s OK

Miliwolf
    Participant

Not the Waimak, but interestingly the technical mouth of the Wairau river is not at the Wairau Bar itself, its a couple of km’s further inland. I do not know the exact location myself, but was told that by one of the councils river engineers.

So anyone fishing at the Bar could probably legally keep any trout or salmon they might catch. There are two catches, one is a little tidal marsh about 500m upstream, if that is classified as a freshwater source entering the Lagoons then the Bar would just be inside its radius. The other catch, is wither the Lagoons are classified as a saltwater or freshwater system.

fishforpot
    Participant

So it could well be that the Rangers are Policing the freshwater from behind a screen of smoke and mirrors ……scare tactics if you will ……

None of which effects me greatly as I cant give a shit about mudfish lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks fishforpot. Sounds like I’d be ok for Kahawai and Mullet. Might give the Ranger a call and get his ok though just in case. Thanks for your help.

yellowfin
    Participant

[b:2gg7a0cs]Fishing Licence Not Needed For Kahawai Spinning[/b:2gg7a0cs]
    I rang Fish & Game today and asked the question, “Do I need a fishing licence to spin for kahawai at the mouth of the Waimakariri River.” I was told NO YOU DON’T NEED A FISHING LICENCE to spin for kahawai at a river mouth. But if you catch a trout or salmon without a licence you must release it unharmed back into the water. If you landed and kept a salmon or trout without a licence you would be in big trouble should a ranger catch you.
    There is considerable confusion around the subject of kahawai spinning at river mouths. You will also get a wide variety of different answers from the local Christchurch fishing tackle and sports stores – which adds still more to the confusion. It really comes down to what the Fish & Game ranger believes you are doing. If you are winding slowly in a line of salmon anglers then it sure looks like you are salmon fishing. Whereas if you are down in the surf winding fast with others fishing for kahawai then you are OK.

fishforpot
    Participant

So the regulations that say “use any gear capable of taking acclimatised fish” means squat ???

Ive always had issues with the rules regarding fishing for kahawai in the rivermouth …..sounds like the rangers have relaxed a little, and so they should

yellowfin
    Participant

The subject of spin fishing for kahawai at the Waimakariri River mouth without a licence has generated quite a few calls to Fish & Game. Apparently Fish & Game are putting out some information tomorrow to help clarify the matter.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Fisherman !
    I was just wondering if anybody knows if KAHAWAI are still around canterbury in these winter months.
    Any replies would be appriciated.
    Thanks

fishforpot
    Participant

Ive seen them schooling in the mouth at Q/Bd weekend many years ago …… there will always be the odd one around , likely large ones …..

They were thin up at Kaikoura 5-6 weeks ago …. but ya wont catch them without having your line in the water

elmo22
    Participant

did fish and game put any info out about fishing for kahawai at the mouth with out a licence if so were do i find it

yellowfin
    Participant

They still getting kahawai at the Pier just the odd big one. Mostly red cod and dogfish though.

fishforpot
    Participant

Elmo , the Rangers Ive spoken to at the Sth side tell me that since the mouth moves and cant be easily defined they all give plenty of leeway ….

To the point they say “if your at the front of the bunch , where the surf meets the river – even if in the river , you can spin for Kahawai as long as you as obviously doing so , and release any salmon hooked by accident “

Still pay to approach whoever is at the river before jumping into it ….they are quite reasonable ….. different if a tribe of spear chuckers or a busload of zipperheads go jumping into the river

yellowfin
    Participant

Kahawai for africa at the mo..heres some action from yesterday morning..http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … hDC63nXRn4

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.