WAIMAK KAHAWAI

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

anyone heard about any kahwai showing up in good numbers at the waimak yet ?? cheers !

yellowfin
    Participant

Normally at this time of year there will be a few about on the out going tide right down to low, sometimes you just have to get out and have a look, as they can be there one day and gone the next!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I was there a couple of mornings ago, with no salmon being caught I figured it was better to catch something than nothing and joined about 6 guys chasing the kahawai. I got a few really good ones as did everyone else in the hour I targeted them. Great fun on light gear.

yellowfin
    Participant

Heard a rumour that there were kingfish seen chasing kahawai at the mak mouth recently, and that a couple of them were landed. Can anyone confirm this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

aretheyrunningyet,
    How do you catch the kahawai and how different is it from when you’re chasing salmon? Is it true you’ve got to retrieve a lot faster, with the lure eventually splashing the surface?

yellowfin
    Participant

Yip 2 kingies taken this morning!!!! 25 and 8lbs..kahawai for africa!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kevo, is the kahawai fishing technique much different from what you’d use when after salmon?

yellowfin
    Participant

I target them on trout gear, you may not hook more but you lose way less. A fast retrieve is the way to go mate so that is where it differs from salmon fishing. Use a ticer and bif as far as you can, then crank the handle hard out!! Fish as close to the breakers as you can, you will see the kahawai fishers down near the surf so head that way!! if your out in the morning I may be there so come say Hi :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet as, thanks. Will probably only be there next week but maybe sooner. If I’m there, I’ll be the one with the Brazilian accent =)

yellowfin
    Participant

Hmmm…wonder if its worth throwin a popper round tomorrow then…

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a walk down there yesterday morning and there was a guy landing a couple of nice Kahawai.

Any more info about the kingies? Method used etc?

yellowfin
    Participant

[b:3akt9q2t]Waimakariri Rivermouth Kahawai Fishing Tips[/b:3akt9q2t]

I have been down at the Waimakariri Rivermouth for most of the week. The kahawai have been present in the best numbers we have seen for at least five years. Every man and his dog have been catching them; myself included.
    A silver lure is the best colour. They readily take ticers and zed spinners. Many anglers catch the kahawai on silver ticers that have a bit of green prism tape attached. The kahawai are after sprats and silveries and will readily take gear aimed at salmon.

To target kahawai at the Waimakariri River mouth head down towards the breakers and the disturbed water of the river just inside the surf zone. It is best to fish the bottom of the outgoing tide when the river is much narrower. The bottom is shallow and sandy so you will have to stand in knee deep water, as you can see in the picture, to be well within casting range.

The most effective lures are fish shaped jigs between 20 and 28 grams like the small Grim Reapers. Strange as it may seem a single hook is more effective for landing the fish which almost always jump as they attempt to escape. An eggbeater reel spooled with 6 to 15 lb line, and a spinning rod of 7 to 8 feet in length. This is more or less trout gear. This lighter tackle and smaller lures results in far more hookups than the bigger 68g ticers used for salmon fishing. You need to wind the reel quite fast to simulate fleeing baitfish.

The vast kahawai schools move around all the time. For a while ten rods might be bent over on kahawai. Then suddenly they are gone with just the odd one being hooked. Twenty minutes later its all on again!

Once hooked kahawai are tremendous fighters. Pound for pound they would drag any trout backwards through the water! They are great fun on rod and line. With kahawai you tend to loose a lot of fish particularly when the jump. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks yellowfin, really helpful. Hopefully the kahawai will keep on biting till next weekend…

yellowfin
    Participant

There were not as many kahawai caught this morning (Saturday) at the Waimakariri Rivermouth as there have been over the past week. Most were caught early this morning. My mate got four. I guess “You snooze you loose!” Change of light morning and evening are the best times to catch them.

lalandi
    Participant

I was down there at first light yesterday with high expectations. Managed one small one and numerous tangles with other anglers. We fished for an hour or two then shot upriver and found a stretch full of sea run trout. Caught a couple. I took one home for the smoker, first time in years I have kept one for the table.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.