Trout Fishing in Arthur’s Pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pak
    Participant

Hi,

I will be staying in Arthur’s Pass for 10 days in January, ( Down from North Island ) and wonder if anyone can give me any information on where to try some fly fishing while I’m there. Will be driving my wife around as she trains for the coast to coast so will be near Waimak a bit if that helps.

Any ideas greatly appreciated,

thanks,

Peter

yellowfin
    Participant

The Poulter River can give good results but can be a walk between fish, not sure about the waimak river though up there, it would be blind fishing if you were to give it ago.

dave
    Participant

you have lake grassmere,lake pearson, lake sarah,lake lyndon,as well as the waimak,plus alot of small streams and rivers.most of the lakes have been stocked with both breeds of trout.On the coast side you have the teramakau river flowing from Arthurs pass
    Ive caught my most at lake pearson.(mainly because i have not tryed the others yet)
    good luck

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Also, just past Lake Grassmere, turn right toward Lake Hawdon and continue a short drive to where Lake Marymere “hides” behind a hill that will take you about 15 minutes walk….into paradise!
    Well worth the walk and you can fish right round it and be experiencing every terrain edge imaginable.
    From grassy edge to shingle fan to under Beech trees and round rocks etc etc the place is amazing!

pak
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I’ll try the lakes and give any rivers I can get to a go as well.
    Thanks again, :grin:
    Peter

yellowfin
    Participant

if your in arthurs brunner an the crooked river are good spot on the west side the arnold river allways produces sum nice browns there allso lake paraniga not the best spelling which is about 40min west of arthurs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.