Trolling lures

homepage Forums Fishing Forums Fishing Lures Trolling lures

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Does anyone here have any experience with trolling lures?

Would like to be a bit more serious with my trolling for trout over the winter months. I would be using my Kayak for a boat.

The place I would troll most often is can be quite shallow with plenty of weeds to tangle in hooks.

Would also visit the Nelson lakes a few times and troll around them.

Any suggestions on what would be a good lure to have in my box?

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m pretty sure if you want to troll successfully in nelson lakes you need to use a waited line or a down rigger. Be worth a go regardless, I reckon the Rapala range are great trolling lures, make sure you do a rapala knot for maximum effect. Clipping the lure onto lines using a swivel clip reduces the action of the lure.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

What i do is use the smallest split-ring availible, clip it onto rapala aswell as the smallest swivel availible [which is the size of the ones on the “Cobra” lure]
    so it gets rid of line twist and doesnt affest the action too much.

edit: i tend not to use rapalas now except maybe a couple of floating ones for very shallow water, but i use the neutral bouyancy, hard-bodied, storm lures
    which come in bwon trout, rainbow and perch, I have found all to be successful [but perch only in places obviously where perch are around], better cating then rapalas, cheaper, deffinitly catch fish, what more do you want?

Oh and these also do very well in shallow water, their action isn’t as exaggerated as a rapalas, so no need to reel very fast, or go to fast in a kayak.
    But if you rod cannot cast thsese light lures to well then a floating lure, clip over your thingy on ya spool, leave it on the water paddle along when its far behind you clip your spool over, then start paddling and it wont have sunk, otherwise start paddling cast out your lure and quickly resume paddling.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.