Top mistakes newbies make?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Have recently purchased a licence but haven’t been able to catch any trout yet. I have, however, read heaps on it and will be hopefully able to apply this knowledge pretty soon… Have discovered some enlightening stuff such as the “90% of fish found in 10% of the water” deal and other things newbies often don’t know when they start out.

Is there anything else you might add as one of the main mistakes people new to the sport make (be it fly or spinning)?

Thanks heaps

yellowfin
    Participant

Another good saying is 10 per cent of the fishermen catch 90 percent of the fish.To catch fish
    regularly,always assume that you will catch fish every time you go out.Make sure you stick to the
    local small streams as the trout are less sofisticated early season.Back country trophy water gets
    harder to fish as the season progresses.The lower and upper reaches of the Kaiapoi system is a good
    starting point.Remember to relax, you are supposed to be having a good time.

baitman
    Participant

“Fishing smarter for trout” By Tony Bishop is a great book for beginners
    Has lots of info on where to look for fish and methods and such.
    He also has a website you can find with google easy enough.

Try trademe for the book i got one for a friend for less than $10.

Starting fly fishing practice on a lawn with a bit of wool on the end of your leader and get the process right before you tie on a fly failure to do so will end up with a lot of $2 casts ( your fly cracking off the leader when you don’t wait for the loop to straighten before starting you forward stroke)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks guys.
    Yeah, Tony Bishop’s book is one of the books I’ve read, just got it out from the library. I really recommend it too although haven’t proven its value just yet =)

lalandi
    Participant

1) Spending more time reading than fishing.
    2) Buying cheap gear, thinking they’re just starting out and dont need to buy top of the line gear. I reckon I could bet R. Nadal if he were using a $40 racket. (I could prolly beat him anyway)
    3) Fishing solo while learning.
    4) Fishing the wrong depth.
    5 Fishing unproductive water.
    I am far from an expert, but IMHO success comes from practice and patience or someone in the know with the time to help you out.

yellowfin
    Participant

I used to belong to the canterbury flyfishing club who had regular outings eg,murchison area.They would team you up with a good fisherman who would show you the ropes and you could watch them in actionand see how its done properly.Sight fishing with the fly is like stalking animals when hunting.Slowly, cautiously .The first one can be the hardest,after that it gets easier and easier.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

You can also 1/spend far too much on an outfit
    2/listen to too many people who are inexperienced
    -my fly and spinner fishing started at fly fishing school run by kilwell in Rotorua(late 60s). Con Voss showed me to strategise by watching the feed patterns of large fish and studying what they ate from atop a cliff with binoculars near the northern part of the lake…Young and in a hurry..only in later years did I come to grips with what he said however it was great grounding for many years of chasing fish around the central north island..at the end of the day the exhausted smile and knowledge that I had seen some beautiful scenes and great countryside was sometimes my best reward…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks guys for all the answer till now. Much appreciated. =)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.