Tips about How to Select a Fishing Rod

Posted By Allan Burgess On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

A great way to choose the best rod for you is to try them out. I realize it isn’t practical to do so, in a tackle store, but I am often surprised when I actually do this. It is impossible to know what a rod will go like until you start casting with it. Some rods, even expensive ones, just don’t feel right.

I suspect that if an angler was allowed to take home three similar rods from a store, each from a different manufacturer, and test them out at the river, they would very likely have a strong preference for a particular one, and be more than willing to take the other two back. A bit like a test drive so to speak.
    For example I have a Tri-Caster, Harrison and Kilwell Twill Weave. In my opinion, when it comes to distance casting, the Kilwell rod is every bit as good as the imported Harrison for half the price! But unless you tried them both you would never know. Other anglers might try them both and have a different opinion and that’s good too!

Another thing that many are unaware of is that each rod will have an ideal casting weight that maximizes the rod’s full potential. Casting a lure that is too light prevents the rod from fully loading. This is particularly important in a situation where casting distance really matters; such as fishing for salmon in the surf.
    I was fishing at Kaikoura recently along side an older bloke who had only recently taken up fishing. He was spinning for kahawai with a surf rod and a one ounce (28g) sinker. He asked me how come I was able to cast so far with my rod? In the end I gave home a 68g weight-forward ticer. He tied it on and was amazed at how much further it traveled. An extreme case, I admit. But I bet a lot of anglers, even experienced ones, are using lures or sinkers that are too light to properly load-up the rod they are fishing.

Final fishing rod selection often comes down to personal choice. Some rods you just like more than others. It is something you can’t quite put your finger on. Whereas another angler may disagree with your rod selection and prefer something else. One thing you can do to broaden your experience with different rods is to swap with a mate and have a dozen casts. This can be a real eye opener!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members