Tied HuHu Grubs

Posted By Fishy Bishy On With 0 Comments
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Recently, a very clever fly tyer in Spain sent me these to test in the canals especially.

No reason why they shouldn’t work in any waters where Grubs are on a Trout’s menu…. :wink:

The appear to be tied using balsa wood, acrylic paint/lacquer, and a strong thread capable of making the body creases as seen in a caterpillar, HuHu etc.

These even feel real!

Have a look at these wee beauties, I’ll report back soon when tested….. after the smoker has completed the task. :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

Some of the blokes in a sawmill that I worked in used to eat the huhu grubs. They said they tasted like whipped cream. Personally I never tried any. The huhu grubs looked exactly like those in your picture!

croozer
    Participant

my great grandmother had an exact replica of a witchety grub(aussie huhu) which she used 80 years ago in the rivers of cntral nsw and reckons she used to catch heaps of fish on them…it looked even more life-like than the ones in the pic…..

bradicle
    Participant

Where abouts were these from a website?

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

A bloke in Spain sent me them, ( http://www.facebook.com/quintasjoaquin ) well worth looking at his photos and the unbelievable skill he possesses

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I found huhu grubs down at the Twizel Canals that anglers had been using for fishing. The one pictured above are very life-like.

troutfishernz
    Participant

tried some dehydrated huhu grubs at the canals a few weeks ago looked good but didn’t seem to hydrate that good and fell of the hook and crumbled easy did get a small salmon on one though.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I think I found some of those dehydrated huhu grubs on the ground beside the Ohau A canal when I was there last. I thought at the time it was a bit odd. Are they actually real huhu grubs that have been dehydrated?

troutfishernz
    Participant

The guy at the fishing shop who sold them to me said they are real grubs. they also had dehydrated bullies and shrimps.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Well that is a surprise! I knew about dehydrated shrimp, but never dehydrated bullies and grubs. It would be interesting to find out more. I guess that if used whole that would fit the Fish & Game definition of “natural” bait. I wonder if they are any good?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members