Thresher Sharks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lalandi
    Participant

Bored as chasing mud fish!

Keen as to target a thresher shark. I have caught small whiptails from boats up north but not LB around Canty.

Has anyone successfully targeted and caught them here?

looking for the good oil on location and time of year.

Can anyone helpus out?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I never caught one, but a couple of the forum members have from memory. The sample size is not large, but they seem to be more common over summer, and probably require a degree of luck to get one. Thresher sharks typically only hunt and eat live prey so using a live bait could increase the odds of catching one.

lalandi
    Participant

Thanks Miliwolf, the two I have caught were both on dead baits (welcome by catch). Livies tend to hook them in the tail I believe.
    I have heard they have been hooked off brighton pier and landed on the beach. Sounds like hard work, fun tho.

yellowfin
    Participant

You wouldn’t specifically target thresher sharks in Canterbury from land as they’re not common enough. You could however use large chunks of oily fish, squid, or even dogfish, and hope you catch something large that will put up a good fight e.g. sevengill shark, large skate, large school shark, etc.

lalandi
    Participant

At the risk of sounding like a wanker, Booger I assume you mean that you wouldn’t specifically target them. I certainly would. I suspect they are far more common than people realise. It is just that not many people suspend a fresh fish bait 100m+ off shore. I imagine it is unlikely they would bite an invertebrate bait set on the bottom intended for an Ele, rig or what have you.

yellowfin
    Participant

Haha no worries, you could be right there.. wikipedia says they are pelagic. I guess the further north the better. You do get people at the end of the pier with baits higher up in the water for kahawai, but I’m not sure if they’d be big enough to attract a thresher. Berley would help, but you mentioned LB and 100m+ offshore so it could be challenging getting berley to work properly.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, they get hooked in the tail because I beelive they hit the water/fish with the tail to stun it before turning around to eat it. Have heard that quite often they are caught when a smaller fish took the bait without the angler knowing and the thresher grabs the small fish.

Been thinking about it a bit more, I beleive that Birdlingflat caught one off Birdling flat once, and Ginga got one off the beach at Kaikoura. Both last summer I think.

fishforpot
    Participant

Some weeks ago I posted about seeing a thresher in the surf at Spencers Park …..there is no doubt about what it was , the only question is what it was feeding on …..

It was both sides of the last breaker line at low tide ….so in open water , and then inside the channel , whacking its tail on and off for the entire time we were watching it ..
    It was bouncing in and out of the channel , working the wave on the outer sandbar ……I suspect it was feeding on whitebait …..as there were bugga all mullet around that early in the season …..

The thresher taken off the Pier was caught an hour before I got there , and the bloke was telling me about the fight , the big circling runs it went on , and how it surfaced between the surfers freaking them out lol ….
    From memory , it was a still morning , very clear water , and glassy conditions

lalandi
    Participant

I missed that in my search, thanks for the info.

yellowfin
    Participant

There’s actually been quite a few threshers caught and others lost at the pier over the years. A lot of smaller ones have been caught by people just fishing for kahawai with small bonito baits, one guy I know of has caught two. Months are usually December – February as far as I know. Blue sharks 7 foot+ were around for a month last year you could see them swimming around few forum members got one each and other people were hooking and losing them. The blues were around in March I think. Sending kahawai or big mullet dead or alive out under a balloon/float over the summer months when the water temp is up is your best option. There’s no doubt they’re there.

yellowfin
    Participant

I got a small one off the beach at kaikoura on boxing day. ony a small one though i was still happy with it, Was on a hand size chunk of moki

lalandi
    Participant

Thanks Zac, that was just the info I was hoping for. I love them, such an awesome looking creature and of course they go bat shit crazy on the end of of your line. In Auckland a few years back I had a small one (10-12kg) on the line that went ballistic. It came screaming back at us and jumped about 3m from the boat, landing on the gunwale. I’ve been obsessed ever since. Right… Game on!

PierMaster
    Participant

I hooked a large thresher shark off the pier well over 100kg back in dec 2003 28th at 12.50pm (I remeber everything about that day!) and that thing was huge! you could see its black eyes well out over 200m away, hooked it bye sending out a fairly large dead mullet 200m-300m out, leaped out of the water many times, was a magnificent sight but lost it after about 30mins, I was pretty young using pretty shitty gear and it hammered it! also foul hooked a small one day when there was a large school of kahawai but it came off . That day another small thresher was landed around 10kg, was fould hooked however. The guy that has caught two both got them early in the morning round 6am using a ledger trace and bonito bait. One being 100kg and the other 60kg just lucky catches realy, he did say they were quite tasty lol another guy that I use to fish paul the aussie with lost a few at the pier awhile back by sending out baits, he did land a few small ones. Yeah most of the ones I know about at the pier were all in the month december. Another guy I know apprently lost a failry large one at amberley beach while fishing for school sharks. They are deffinatley there, ross who use to own the brighton sports shop use to tell me that he saw them quite regulary or heard boaties talk about them around the canterbury waters. There was an article awhile back in the fishing news about targeting threshers sharks which was quite interesting.

lalandi
    Participant

Thank you for that PM. How did you send out a bait 200m? Balloon and off shore wind/out going tide?

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ll be sending out baits this season with balloons etc Have tried a couple times before off the pier, one time it went out probably 200 meters with a whole dead mullet and came back with a small schoolie on it. Another time I sent out a big dead kahawai around 5am as the sun was coming up, had a 10/0 hook in the head and another in the tail and came back bitten clean in half through the middle with both halfs still there but possibly a seven giller. I sold my Penn Senator 9/0 that I was gonna use for ballooning but I’m planning on finding another big reel for this season. I’ve got the method and gear pretty much sorted it’s just putting the time in and getting the right conditions with an offshore wind. Other people have hooked and landed blues and heard of threshers lost when sending out baits off the Pier none recently though but no one really does it.

Keen to meet up if someone else wants to try sending baits out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.