The Ones that got away

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

Yeah we’ve all experienced it, hooked up good get a good fight going on and then poof fish gone..grrrr then we go home and tell BS stories to our mates lol so lets hear your latest tales..i’ll start.

Out in the boat with my bro heading back in from out the heads stopped off by Ripapa island by the rocks threw in a sabiki, about a min later was hooked up and well whatever i had on did not want to come to me, drag set at 8kg’s and it was running, 20 secs later and ping goes the hook..gutted

Miliwolf
    Participant

Got broken of plenty of times by what I assume were Eagle rays in the sounds last summer. Landed a few.

Had a few large sharks break me off at times.

rdeejay
    Participant

even worse for me for the fact of fishing in a new area off a boat not expecting much or what i could catch and getting pinged off

yellowfin
    Participant

Casted out my 7ft mullet rod with 5/0 hooks and good sized peices of squid on hoping for a bit of fun with school sharks at the Pier and hooked something I think was a ray that I had no hope of stopping nearly spooled the small reel and snapped the 30lb line. Never again, now I only use size 10 trout hooks on that rod, any bigger and I use my other gear. Also had two massive hit and runs off the Timaru wharf on my other even smaller rod which I suspect were big salmon that I had no chance of stopping. Off the wharf at Bluff hooked up to a stingray, took two big massive runs then stopped so I thought I get some line back and as soon as I applied more pressure it ran again even further so I applied as much pressure as I could and the hook pulled, must have been hooked in the wing. Also hooked another big stingray that ran in and got wrapped around the pilon underneath the wharf, but I did get to see part of it near the end of the fight before it snapped the 60lb shockleader.

yellowfin
    Participant

fishing last summer for mullet of the westport wharf hooking a huge sea runner and it snapping my mainline

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.