The effort and cost of catching a Salmon

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

I just caught my first Salmon after many years of trying – say 6 years. Each year I’ve tried many times – say 50 times for 2 hours each. So I thought I work out how much effort and cost its been.

At 2 casts per minute – that’s 1 fish per 2 X 60 X 2 X 50 X 6 = 72,000 casts.

Effort : Assuming a 22 gram lure and casts of 30 meters – that’s 1,584 KG of metal thrown 30 meters or 22 grams of metal a distance of 2,160 KM.

KMs Travelled : 50 (trips) X 6 (years) X 50 (return trip KM) = 15,000 KMs – jeppers that’s a lot!

Cost of petrol : 15,000 / 100 X 9 (litres per 100KM) = 1,350 Litres X $2.20 (price per litre) = $2,970 – Bugger!

Cost of lures : 50 (trips) X 6 (years) / 3 (avg trips before lost lure) * $8 (price per lure) = $800.

I shall add all other costs (licences & tackle) into the budget called Trout Fishing – so my Salmon costs are $3770.

My fish was 19lb, I didn’t weight the fillets – I’ll assume 5KG – so that makes my Salmon $754/KG.

Actually, I gave 1/2 of it to my (also long suffering) fishing buddies – so it really cost me $1500/KG.

yellowfin
    Participant

ive often wondered how much it would cost with all the expenses thrown in. its almost enough to make a grown man cry, lucky for me its only my first season. i better hurry and get one though, that price is only going to go up.

burkefish
    Participant

f&g estimate cost each returning hatchery fish at between $100 and $200.

burkefish
    Participant

i worked it out once while waiting for a salmon to select my zeddie, that i do around about 250,000 casts per season over the 5 months chasing salmon. thats fishing on average 8 hours per day and includes the annual 5 weeks i take around march and fish everyday.

Anonymous

$39.00 for a whole salmon@akaroa, makes you think doesnt it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Go for it zedchucker. This is only my vibe – but I’m sure this March there’s a lot of fish around compared to previous years – maybe they couldn’t run in Jan & Feb and are all waiting. So the opportunity to bring the ‘effort and cost per fish’ down is there. Look on the bright side to, we’re so lucky down here in the SI of NZ that we can do this each year and at (once you know what you’re doing) low cost – eg Salmon waters in the UK are almost all private and the costs to fish there are huge.

yellowfin
    Participant

Another thing zedchucker – I spent 6 years ‘doing the right thing’ chucking zeddies out and slow retrieves. In all that time I had 2 takes and lost both – 1 was definitely a Salmon – the other may have been a Kahawai. I don’t enjoy slow retrieves and it wasn’t working for me. So I swiched in the last few weeks to bigger trout lures and faster (not fast) retrieves and I lost a big 1 – so sorted my reel and line out – then landed my first fish. That’s not advice – that’s fact. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe its going to work good for me and bring that $ per fish down :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey GrumpyGel well done. My mate has been beating himself up about not getting one all season….and he has put in a lot of hours! He got two in an hour on Friday. We are all relieved. They even cheered at the fishing shop when he walked in!!

yellowfin
    Participant

I tried to upload a photo of him with his limit bag (sounds so much better than saying two) but couldnt do it. The grin was ear to ear.

Johnwest
    Participant

Cyclofish

juststartinout
    Participant

Hi guys … I really have no idea why I am here except for I desperately need to find somewhere that sells Wild Caught Salmon (not farmed). I thought if I couldn’t find anywhere I may just have to learn to catch them myself … but it sounds rather hit and miss! Can anyone help? :roll:

burkefish
    Participant

it is illegal to sell or buy wild salmon, the fines run into thousands and wild salmon are easily identified from farmed fish. you need to go catch one find someone who has who is willing to give you one.

Baitboy
    Participant

Hi burkefish
    Silly question ,but I assume canal salmon(escapees) are deemed to be wild?
    Cheers Baitboy

burkefish
    Participant

yes, once they are out of the nets they are within fish & games jurisdiction and the freshwater regs apply.

shark slayer
    Participant

hey burkefish…is it illegal for fish mongers to sell wild fish?I saw a fish shop in cashmere selling wild salmon the other day and was disgusted…if it is I will inform maf and go have a wee chat with the owner… :evil:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members