Taylors Mistake (Black rock)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi all,

Me and a mate have been trying black rock @ taylors mistake for the last couple weeks, one time just after high tide and one time just before high tide.

For bait we have used bonito and the second time GULP, we have been just simply casting out as far as we can fom the rocks and wait for action but all we have had so far is dogfish.

I even tried spinning for 30mins using this sort of lure (http://www.williamsfishingspoons.com/si … -large.jpg) but no luck there either.

If any one has any tips about fishing at this location they would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know what types of bait to use for specific fish, tides, hooks, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Mediabeast :)

fishforpot
    Participant

Where to start OMG ……. hang up ya gear for a few months …..than start again …..

In the meantime , I suggest reading thru all the other threads and posts and learn learn …..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fishing is going to be tough for the next few months. The main catches would only be Dogfish and Red Cod with the occasional Skate to add interest. More interesting species should start showing up when the water warms.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply, but when it does get warmer is there anything you could suggest?

fishforpot
    Participant

Nov on …..read up on how and where to catch crabs , how to bait a hook with them , and get surfcasters …..

Rock fishing is pretty lame around CHCH unless your willing to put in a huge effort around remote parts of the peninsula ….

Fish the beaches , conway flats , baileys or pendarves to name 3 ……fish the early morning up till the first 2 hours of light ……..likewise the last few hours and into dark

The rest of the day is for catching bait and getting shit done …..

yellowfin
    Participant

What bait,tide,hook size would you suggest for targeting Moki and Butter fish?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Moki is the easy one. You would want to use shellfish (mussel is great) or shrimp, prawn and crayfish for bait. Fish from change of light into the night, sometimes they do not show up until after midnight. Sometimes they fail to show up entirely. Hook size, I would suggest between 2/0 and 5/0.

Butterfish are very tricky, to tricky for me to bother with targeting. You need tiny trout size hooks, around size 12 I been told. Bait, been told that pea, corn can work (might have to cut them), tiny piece of shrimp/mussel, tiny piece of sea weed or sand hopper insects. I would target them during the day around areas of Kelp, weed and rock. Could be a idea to go for a snorkel, locate where they are holding and cast into that area, although if going to that much trouble it is easier just to spear them. If you are not planning on getting wet, Butterfish like to hang out in rock crevices, especially ones with a big of current (from the swell) which washes down them. In very weedy areas could be wise to use a float to keep the bait out of the weed.

A shellfish burly can help attract Moki in, a vegetarian burley made out of the above baits could help with Butterfish but never tried it.

Moki and Butterfish are around all year, but they seem to eat less over winter so are harder to catch.

yellowfin
    Participant

i have caught a few butterfish on rod and reel and almost always i put it down to a fluke as im never trying to catch em. Caught thenm on baits like pillie bonito prawn cray never tried but have been told little tiny bits of kelp is a good bait. Caught many many Moki in the past and as mili sayz shellfish/crab crayfish prawns will work some times mussel will work better than cray etc then other times it will be the other way round. Hook size for moki i would say a 1/0-4/0 is ideal i usually like to use a KL 3/0 which is a hook from black magic

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have found that if you go to small with Moki hooks the catch rate of small ones greatly increase. When the fishing is slow catching small ones is a bit of fun but can be a bit tedious if they are plentiful. Most of the time I use a Mustad Ultra Point Demon in the 3/0 when targeting them (could be 2/0 would have to check).

But using a 4/0 or 5/0 with a large piece of bait is good when Rig are also about and would eliminate many of the smaller Moki.

Have you ever caught a legal size Butterfish Ginga?

yellowfin
    Participant

I gave up fishing black rock long ago. last time I went there was about when i was 13, 12 years ago!
    Around christchurch surfcasting is a better idea, unless the like pot says doing a mission to a remote bay on the pensular rock fishing has been dead for a long time in Canterbury.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for all your replies! hopefully with all this info we might catch something haha
    Even if we fail again it’s always good just fishing!

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

ys mili i have caught legal ones on a rod before maybe 4 legal ones

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out this weekend and used salmon as a bait size 4/5 hooks and basic set up with 1 to 2 hooks and sinker and left it at the bottom until something hit our bait, this was just after high tide.
    Caught about 15 sharks(spiny and school i think) and one small red cod.

Whats the best way to stop catching shark as they can be frustrating at times? and do moki/cod/butterfish eat on the sea floor? as I’ve seen people just use a whole salmon and let it slowly sink.

yellowfin
    Participant

One way to stop catching dogfish is to use dogfish for bait, but even then you’re only likely to catch other species of shark or skate. If you’ve got access to crabs for bait they could work well for moki and have had the odd red cod on crab baits, never had a problem with catching dogfish on crab either. I don’t use shellfish baits much although have caught dogfish on nearly every bait apart from crabs so definitely the bait to use once rig and elephant fish start the show up in the next few months.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.