Taieri Mouth/Otago Harbour

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone seen or heard of any salmon being caught at Taieri Mouth. The vicious rumours were everywhere 2 years ago but I’ve heard nothing since. Back then a mate and I went trolling in a Kayak and hooked into what we thought was one just above the bridge but turned out to be a dirty Barracoutta on a silver spinner. Also what are the trout taking down there?…Soft baits?

Any news from the Leith mouth? I’m not asking for much.

troutfishernz
    Participant

fished Taieri mouth yesterday down by the mouth and by the bridge and seen nothing being caught except a few Barracoutta caught by some guys spinning with big wobblers right down by the breakers. seemed better fishing up further with plenty of Trout splashing around near Henley and loads of big perch.

yellowfin
    Participant

Caught a Kawhai at Taieri mouth today on the north side on the point where the river is at it’s narrowest. Good fun on the trout gear, took at least 10mins to land. Caught on the smelt GULP.

went into the sports shop in Dunedin yesterday, got yarning with the guy behind the counter, showed me this photo on his phone of his mate holding this large kingfish that he’d caught in otago harbour a couple of evenings before, didn’t know they got that far south, amazing!

yellowfin
    Participant

Are the Kahawhai still running? Tried the same spot where I had luck a while ago but got nothing but Perch on the old GULP soft baits.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members