tackle talk

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 84 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Zac

You could try contact this guy, I can give you his email if you want.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=390980

He’s got loads of brand new fishing gear at his place at Waikuku Beach (says Rangiora but he lives there). Alot more than is on trademe. It’s not brands typically heard of like PENN and Shimano etc but maybe an option? It’s all Italian and german made stuff (DAM and EVEROL, he does do some Okuma), or maybe the designs originate there and are made overseas? I’m not sure.

I’m not promoting him one way or the other, he’s a friends dad I’ve known for a while. I can’t remember what his prices are like v’s tackle shops for e.g??

Cheers
    Aaron

Hey man,
    My name is Kane Tapper, I manage Decoro Fishing Supplies in Mt Maunganui.
    I can send gear to where ever you want it to go, South island is no prob.
    When you have a spear minute give me a call, it’s toll free 0508 545 545 to talk about what you need.
    Feel free to check out our web site http://www.decoro.co.nz but please note it still has photos and some stock to be added.
    Look forward to hearing from you, Kane.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice to see alvey reels on your website. Have not been able to find a NZ online store with them yet.

yellowfin
    Participant

I only just noticed this thread has a whole catagory now.

Hi, Yea I can do the whole Alvey range, if there is a particuler model your after drop me a line on the toll no. 0508 545 545.
    Cheer’s Kane.

yellowfin
    Participant

I own seven Alvey reels if you include my Alvey saltwater fly reel. The other six are sidecast surfcasting reels. I have used these regularly for over

I totally agree, Alvey reels are tough, mainly due their lack of moving parts. They are very simple inside.
    They can handle water in and around them, I have been selling alot to the surf fishing guys because as we all know sometimes you have to get wet!
    They are also becoming very popular with the kayak fishermen, I havn’t done any of this myself yet but I know if you want your gear to last in a kayak it has to be able to get wet.
    If any one is interested in more info feel free to call me toll free 0508 545 545 we have the full range.:)

yellowfin
    Participant

I am currently using mid-range ‘threadline’ reels for surf casting. My current reel is a Shimano Baitrunner 6500b (est NZD $300) which has a good reputation. So it should last.

I have a smaller reel, which is more ‘upper end’. A Daiwa Certate 4000 (est NZD $600), the thing is a piece of art with surplus of drag. But I think it could suffer a bit if a big shark strikes and it is more suited to spinning and jigging then surfcasting. I bleive the drag is sealed so should be alright to take Kayak fishing but would consider getting a alvey now.

One of my staff has been using the Okuma VS80 eggbeater reel for kingies. He would have caught over 80 good size fish on this reel. the twin drag system is orsume.

St_Paul
    Participant

I have an axeon ax90, its a beast of a reel to cast with getting distances out to 150 metres with an off the ground cast on a 14’6 powerplay glx/grp. and a clipped down pulley rig.
    Drag works great have had no problems with large rays (up to 60lb) in the sounds and they can get a drag smoking if they decide to run hard.

have it spooled with 50lb power pro over 20lb mono. got the powerpro from decoro and have to say they are great to deal with.
    I use braid as it eliminates the need for a shock leader, the trace on the end has more than enough stretch to cover the hookup and fight.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi anyone, was wondering how is the easiest way of putting pictures on this forum and also how to make em small enough to be viewed on here. i have a couple of pics of my answer to catching sharks and was interested in sharing them if anyone has any answers i would appreciate the reply thanks.

yellowfin
    Participant

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Thanks alot for that info, anyway here is wot i make up to combat the toothy sharks that frequent the coast the small loop end i usually put on a small dropper loop ledger rig or if a runnig rig can be attached to a looped piece of mono trace. It is made out of some 30lb nylon coated wire and the big loop is to go through the hook/s.

“>

And here it is rigged up

“>

yellowfin
    Participant

HookLineSinker
    Participant

oops that didnt work to well lol, any way it shows the rig i use and works well for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members