tackle talk

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 84 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

i tried the berkly

yellowfin
    Participant

I just remembered I do not have any flounder hooks :(

Any suggestions on what size hook to use?

yellowfin
    Participant

Must also get to bed. Would check back in the morning.

yellowfin
    Participant

something rather small id say um like a size 10 or 12

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone here found a good cheap source of float beads?

yellowfin
    Participant

If anyone is interested, these hooks are quite cheap. VMC is a quality brand and at this price they are worth considering

Snapper Hook VMC 4/0
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing … =111185557

and

Snapper Hook VMC 3/0
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing … =111424455

I am tempted to buy myself a few, but I already own 50 Gammy 5/0 Octopus hooks. They costed me $34.50

I also prefer circle hooks.

yellowfin
    Participant

hey that doesnt look too bad aye but i also prefer circle hooks

yellowfin
    Participant

hey that doesnt look too bad aye but i also prefer circle hooks

yellowfin
    Participant

Did you get any fishing done?

It has been raining here all day.

yellowfin
    Participant

nah i didnt aye

yellowfin
    Participant

Does anyone else here buy ‘line’ they do not really need.

Here is what I already got

Sufix Superior: 250lb
    Nylon coated SS wire: 200lb
    Black magic Leader: 80lb
    Nylon coated SS wire: 40lb
    Kilwell Mono (Maylasia) 30lb (used about 1/2 crap)
    Berkley Trilene XT: 20lb (less then half spool)
    Berkley Vanish: 20lb
    Sunline Kilwell Qv: 18lb

I think I need a good quality 30lb line

I also have about 20 spools of line with breaking strains below 10lb.

yellowfin
    Participant

Whats peoples thoughts about tackle to [i:1y141zll]tackle[/i:1y141zll] sharks?? Im looking at getting a new reel, line weight etc

Cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

Firstly I have not caught any sharks. But have done quite a bit of research into this area.

The most popular spinning reels seem to be

[b:3dvyyls2]Shimano:[/b:3dvyyls2]
    Baitrunner 6500b
    or
    shimano big baitrunner

[b:3dvyyls2]Penn [/b:3dvyyls2] (Slightly cheaper then the Shimano Baitrunners)
    Penn 850SSm
    Penn 960SSm

[b:3dvyyls2]Okuma[/b:3dvyyls2]
    Okuma Axeon 90

There are other reels around which would do a good job. The high end Shimano Stellas or Daiwa Saltiga reels would be excellent but they cost around the $1000 mark

With regards to line weight, 30-35lb seem to be a common suggestion. There are plenty of ‘popular’ brands out there. Just avoid the ‘very cheap stuff’ made in Malaysia or China. I am going to spool my reel with 38lb Pioneer Flexline. But there are lots of ‘brands’ to choice from.

yellowfin
    Participant

[b:x7fdrtih][user=1243]Shark_Tale[/user] wrote: [/b:x7fdrtih][quote:x7fdrtih]Whats peoples thoughts about tackle to [i:x7fdrtih]tackle[/i:x7fdrtih] sharks?? Im looking at getting a new reel, line weight etc

Cheers

Well it depends on where you are fishing from. If you are fishing from a rough beach where its not possible to use a livebait then a rod of around 12ft rated to 40 or 50lb would suit medium sized sharks. MiliWolf covered most of the spinning reels that could be used for medium shark fishing. I think that the Penn 9500 or the newer model are the best for medium sized sharks. I prefer mono to braid but if you are fishing with a spinning reel sometimes you are going to need the extra line capacity that braid offers.

Personally i would use an overhead reel as for bigger sharks you are going to need that extra line capacity and strenth. Some good choices are:

The Penn 555 and Daiwa 50HV – Both of these reels combine great castability with a line capacity that is more than most spinning reels

Penn Senator 113HLW 4/0 – Holds 450 yards of 40lb line

If you are going to be fishing from a wharf or a calm beach and have access to a kayak then you are open to alot more possibilities. If you want to have a go at kayaking some baits out you are going to need bigger reels and heavier rods. Some of the most commonly used reels for land based shark fishing are:

Penn Senator 6/0, 6/0 wide, 9/0

If you are really serious about shark fishing you could go with a Penn 12/0, 14/0, 16/0. The 16/0 is what was used in the attempt to catch jaws in the movie. If you are using reels as big as these you will need a rod rated to 24kg or 37kg.

For all sharks you will need to use steel cable. For smaller sharks you will only need a couple of meters of cable but for bigger sharks i would use 5 meters of Plastic coated steel cable connected to a few meters of heavy mono if it was being kayaked out. It’s harder to make castable leaders for shark fishing since they can only be a certain lenth before they are too hard to cast.

For a castable leader you are going to need: 6 -7 ft. piece of 250# coated steel, 1 – 300 – 500lb swivel, 1 – 300 – 500lb snap swivel,

yellowfin
    Participant

I forgot to mention why it is important to use plastic coated wire. It is because sharks have extremely high powered senses, one of which is to be able to pick up the minute electrical current produced from a long piece of steel cable in the water, sure some sharks will still take a bait but your chances are increased if the wire is

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members